The Boulder Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51370°N / 71.2874°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Walk Up) with Scrambling sections
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 with one section that approaches Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The stone shelter on the...


VIA BROOK, BOULDER AND MAIN TRAILHEADS: The trailhead is easy to reach off of Route 11 THere is a sign of the side of Route 11 pointing to the trailhead. Route 11 is a two-lane highway between Alton and Laconia. Mt. Major is five miles north of Alton and fifteen south of from Laconia.

Route Description

View of Lake Winnepausaukee...


Boulder Trail
1.7miles
Elevation Gain: 1150 Feet


The Boulder Trail is a slightly easier route to the top than the main trail. It consist of only one major tricky section in comparison to at a third of the entire Main Trail.

The Boulder Trail ascends on your left whereas the other begin on the right. It starts of with a moderate pitch, but quick become gradual. the trail stays gradual for roughly a half mile until it turns right and starts to steepn. It passes by a boulder field at moderate to steep pitch and hits the steep rocky pitch at roughly 1.2 miles. This pitches which a ledge sideways can be very tricky when icy so use caution. Once over the steep pitch the trail grade become very gradual and turns right toward the summit. The trail continues it's gradual push to summit with excellent views off toward the right. It stays this way right up to the summit.

Essential Gear

This trail definite requires crampons and trekking poles in winter. On this particular there is little need for an ice axe. There is one steep pitch on this loop that is trick just before the summit plateau that needs caution.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.