The Main Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51370°N / 71.2874°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble, Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

View of the summit of Mt....


VIA BROOK, BOULDER AND MAIN TRAILHEADS: The trailhead is easy to reach off of Route 11 THere is a sign of the side of Route 11 pointing to the trailhead. Route 11 is a two-lane highway between Alton and Laconia. Mt. Major is five miles north of Alton and fifteen south of from Laconia.

Route Description

View of Lake Winnepausaukee...


Main Trail
1.6 miles one way
Elevation Gain: 1150 ft


The trail starts off quick from the parking area on a moderate pitch on a highly eroded section. The trail level out on the top of this section (0.3 miles and become completely level if not descends slightly for the next 0.4 miles. At roughly 0.7 miles you come to intersection where the Main Trail will head left and the Brook Trail will continue straight. The Main Trail quick steepens and scrambles roughly begin at about a mile from the parking lot. The trail continues alternating pitches between steep hiking and scrambling. Once within 0.2 miles from the top the trail now become a consistant Class 2 scramble with dropoff that can become dangerous in wet and icy conditions. Once on top though the trail runs into an old summit ruin and has incredible views of Lake Winnepausaukee.

Essential Gear

View of Mt. Mooselauke from...


Be advised in winter though that the mountain is steep and truely does become a Class 2 on the Main Trail with no trees to catch your fall for at least a hundred feet. Crampons are necessity in winter, and though you will look foolish, an ice axe isn't to bad idea if you are planning on taking the Main Trail. The other trails you will be fine with just hiking poles and crampons.



Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.