The Brook Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51370°N / 71.2874°W
Additional Information Route Type: Walk-Up
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Mt. Washington from the...


VIA BROOK, BOULDER AND MAIN TRAILHEADS: The trailhead is easy to reach off of Route 11 THere is a sign of the side of Route 11 pointing to the trailhead. Route 11 is a two-lane highway between Alton and Laconia. Mt. Major is five miles north of Alton and fifteen south of from Laconia.



Route Description

Summer picture from the...


The Brook Trail
Distance: 2.4 miles one way
Elevation Gain: 1150


The trail starts off quick from the parking area on a moderate pitch on a highly eroded section. The trail level out on the top of this section (0.3 miles and become completely level if not descends slightly for the next 0.4 miles. At roughly 0.7 miles you come to intersection where the Main Trail will head left and the Brook Trail will continue straight. Stay on the Brook Trail. The trail continues it gradual to moderate pitch until reaching a col between Mt. Major and Straightback Mountain. It merges with the Belknap Trail turn ledges and climbs over exposed but gradual ledges to the summit.

Essential Gear

In summer just regular hiking gear is needed. In winter this is the best trail of the three to snowshoe hike. Be prepared though for the weather on top. Though this mountain is some it is totally exposed on top and the wind off the lakes can get you in a hurry.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.