Glacier Traverse & Crevasse Rescue Practice

Glacier Traverse & Crevasse Rescue Practice

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 41.41746°N / 122.19009°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering

Hotlum Glacier Traverse & Crevasse Rescue Practice

We camped on Hotlum/Bolum ridge and used nearby slopes to practice running belays, group self-arrest, setting up the first anchor while under the pressure of a fallen climber, 3 to 1 (Z) pulley system for crevasse recue, and other skills and techniques.

The final stage of our practice was traversing Hotlum Glacier which was pretty broken up with many wide, flat and skinny bridges luring climbers with their seemingly strong and safe appearance.

Navigating slowly and carefully, foot by foot, through the surrounding bridges ending with huge crevasses and still hoping to get to the other side, at one point I spotted a small black hole a couple of inches off my boot which made me realized that I had no more room to safely cross that labyrinth. Yes, I was roped but these huge bridges could easily smash me while collapsing. I picked a different route.

We all had fun and came back intact.


Hotlum Glacier Traverse and Crevasse Rescue Highlights (4:02)
Mt Shasta Base Camp 2013 - Hotlum Glacier - Extended Ver. (19:24)
Falling!!!Falling!!!
Falling!!!Falling!!!
Traversing glacierTraversing glacier
Crossing a crevasseCrossing a crevasse
Traversing glacierTraversing glacier
Traversing glacierTraversing glacier
Crossing a crevasseCrossing a crevasse
Traversing glacierTraversing glacier
Traversing glacierTraversing glacier
Traversing glacierTraversing glacier

3 to 1 (Z) Pulley System for Crevasse Rescue - How To (6:42)

Climb Safe 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount ShastaTrip Reports
 
Hotlum GlacierTrip Reports