Diamond in the Crack

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.79500°N / 83.7042°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.6
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


About 3/4's of a mile east of the intersection of KY 77 and KY 715. You will find the Gladie Creek Visitors Center. You can find parking easily around this area. If you look southeast across a field and the river you will see Jewel Pinnacle locate the dihedral. That is the upper portion of Diamond in the Crack. Hike across the field, cross the river (you can usually find shallow spots) and bushwhack up the hill to the rock. Find a couple of dirty cracks in dihedral. These cracks lead to a belay ledge just right of an overhang. It's an obvious line.

Route Description


Climb the easiest line using the two dirty cracks step right of the overhang and up to the belay ledge. The second portion of this climb is the business, climb a very aesthetic dihedral swing around a roof and palm your way onto the summit. About 125 ft. To descend you can find a third or fourth-class scramble off the backside of Jewel Pinnacle.

Essential Gear


Take a good mix of gear depending on your preference any thing from 3/4" to 4" pieces. Cams are very handy on this climb. I’ve even caught folks squeezing in Big Bro’s (the smaller sizes).

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
desainme

desainme - Dec 16, 2003 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

I know this is a good one because Tom Souders recommended it to me and he an original developer of climbs in the gorge.

ITRAD

ITRAD - Dec 21, 2003 9:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Sounds like we have some of the same peeps. I haven’t seen Tom in a couple of years. I will say what ever he tells you about a route can be taken to heart.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.