Whiteout

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.79500°N / 83.7042°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Visible from the road Whiteout is at a climbing area known as Emerald City witch is a sub category of a larger area known as Lady Slipper. To get there drive 4.8 miles south along KY 11 from the Junior Williamson Rest Area. Stop at a large grassy pull off on the right. The approach trail is across the road and usually camouflaged by tall grass it’s an easy trail that splits at a large boulder soon after you start up the trail. Take the left fork of the trail until you reach the base of the rock. When you reach the base of the rock turn left and follow the cliff line about 400 ft. to the main arête of the wall.


Route Description



Climb an easy crack system to a large flake then work your way up and on to a ledge that angles right for about 50 ft. to the first set of belay anchors. From here you will climb a hand crack in a right facing dihedral until the crack thins out. At this point you will take a fairly sharp left to gain some easy ledges then climb up another 20 ft to the rappel anchors which are located beneath a ledge.

Variation Whiteout Direct this is a 5.8 sport climb just to the right of the arête that begins the standard route. It’s a slab that is definitely a worth while endeavor especially since your there. However I wouldn’t ignore the standard route (it’s just fun.)

Essential Gear


Rack up small to large gear, I like using small to large SLCD Cams, medium sized Hexcentrics and medium to large Tricams. If you’re doing the standard route be sure to take plenty of slings as the route wonders a bit.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.