Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.21605°N / 114.62836°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 26, 2013
Seasons Season: Fall

Overview

Northshore Peak rises in Lake Mead National Recreation Area to the east of Las Vegas, Nevada. The peak is officially un-named. Its north face creates a wall/steep slope that rises 1000 ft above North Shore Road, a 50 mile long scenic desert drive that parallels the northern shore of Lake Mead on Colorado River behind Hoover Dam. Northshore Peak does not have an established trail but can be easily hiked via its northeastern slopes. Only below its summit, a short section of Class III hand and foot climbing will be required.

I had a cold and my ears were ringing. I had decided not to do any hiking today. Woke up in our hotel on Las Vegas Strip at 7:30 a.m. While still in bed, I thought that if I don’t do any hiking, I will be bored to death. It was quite ironic that I could not keep myself busy in the entertainment capital of the world and had to run to the dust and dirt of the wilderness. At 8:00 a.m., I suddenly decided that I wanted to climb Northshore Peak.

Northshore Peak (Peak 1015 m)Northshore Peak




Getting There

Left our Hotel on Las Vegas Strip at 8:30 a.m. and got on I-15 south to I-215 East which became Lake Mead Dr. Turned north onto North Shore Road and paid the entrance fee into Lake Mead National Recreation Area. After 20.6 miles on North Shore Road, I reached a parking area on the left (north) side of the road.

Hike Statistics

Place
Elevation
Distance
Parking Area
730 meters
zero miles
Northshore Peak Summit
1015 meters
1.30 miles


Hike to the summit of Northshore PeakMap

The Hike

Started my hike at 9:45 a.m. It was sunny and the temperature was in the mid 50s degrees F. I did not see any hikers in the area. From the parking, the north face of Northshore Peak was visible.

Northshore Peak from parking areaNorthshore Peak from the parking area


To the west, I could see a part of the red hills of the Bowl of Fire.

Looking west from parking areaLooking west


Headed south, crossed the road and began walking the desert floor to reach the base of the peak.

Approaching Northshore Peak


I first went up a hill to the northeast of the peak. Some of the rocks in the area looked very interesting. At first glance, it appeared as if black mud had been splattered all over white rock. Closer examination, however, revealed that the black material was not mud, but rock embedded into the white rock.

On the slopes of Northshore Peak


I was then walking up the easy northeastern slopes of Northshore Peak.

On the northeastern slopes of Northshore Peak

On the northeastern slopes of Northshore Peak


I then reached the false summit. The true summit and the Class III approach to it came to view.

True summit of Northshore Peak from false summitTrue summit


Staying on the crest of the ridge-line, would have led to a 10 ft wall that would have needed to be descended. Instead, I went down the southern slopes a short distance to a place where a cairn came to view. This led me through a pathway below the mentioned wall to reach the base of the true summit.

Minimal Class III climbing below the summitBelow summit


Reached the summit at 10:40 a.m. It was windy and cool. The views were spectacular.

Looking NW from the summitAnniversay Peak, Bowl of Fire

Looking NW from the summitMuddy Peak, Bowl of Fire

Looking NE from the summitBitter Spring Valley

Looking east from the summitLooking east, Lake Mead

Looking SE from the summitBlack Mountain

Looking S/SE from the summitPyramid Peak, Lake Mead

Looking SW from the summit of Northshore PeakHamblin Mountain

Looking west from the summitLooking west

Zoomed view toward Charleston PeakZoomed view toward Charleston Peak

Looking NE from the summitLooking northeast


Left at 11:00 a.m. and was back to my car by 11:50 a.m. On the drive back, I stopped in two places to take pictures of Northshore Peak from North Shore Road.

North face of Northshore PeakNorth face of Northshore Peak

Looking east at Northshore Peak (on the left)Looking east at Northshore Peak





Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

samira - Mar 6, 2014 12:14 am - Hasn't voted

Hi(salam)

Those are beautiful...

nader

nader - Mar 6, 2014 9:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hi(salam)

Thank you.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lake Mead NRATrip Reports
 
Northshore PeakTrip Reports