Black Joe Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.70800°N / 109.128°W
Additional Information Route Type: Wilderness Chute Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Hike the Big Sandy Trail (see Cirque of Towers) to Big Sandy Lake. Circle the lake to the Black Joe trail. Ascend this trail to Black Joe lake. Cross the outlet and contour high above the north shore to reach the upper end. Total distance about 9 miles.

Route Description


The couloir is at the valley's head, 2 miles above Black Joe lake. From lake 11185 at the southeast end of the valley, while looking up at the peak, Engineers Notch will be obvious on the left side of the peak and the couloir obvious on the right. Careful route finding will keep the difficulty at Class 3. The top of the couloir is at the western base of the summit cone. This would be the most expedient route were it not for the difficulties of ascending the Black Joe valley. It is possibly the most enjoyable of the non-technical summit routes. For climbers and hikers based near the Cirque of Towers or Big Sandy lake it is the most convenient route.

Essential Gear


Ice axes are useful in early summer. Crampons would provide a convenient ascent in early season.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.