Borrowdale-The Esk Hause Route

Borrowdale-The Esk Hause Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 54.45000°N / 3.2°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Seathwaite in Borrowdale

Route Description


This route is a monster, a real challenge of endurance (especially if your car is back at Seathwaite) and of navigation skills. Even in fine weather you will have doubts in the area around Allen Crags and especially at Esk Hause. After Esk Hause as you navigate around and up and down Ill Crag and Broad Crag that child-like voice in your head will be nagging away “are we nearly there yet?”
Park your car at Seathwaite, there’s plenty of parking here along the narrow road to the farm. Begin walking through the farmyard and up the track towards Stockley Bridge. If you’re an ice climber look to your right at Sourmilk Gill and Taylorforce Gill, marking them well as serious prospects in a good freeze. Also spot the brilliant example of a glaciated hanging valley above Sourmilk Gill. At Stockley Bridge continue straight on up Grains Gill and to the head of Ruddy Gill. Turn left now, joining the main Eskdale to Sty Head track. In less than 0.5 mile you will come to a crossroads in the track below Allen Crags, turn right and continue to Esk Hause. At Esk Hause turn right again and head for the shoulder between Great End and Ill Crag. Now you will have your first glimpses of the summit. Continue down into Ill Crag col, up and over the shoulder of Broad Crag and down into Broad Crag col. It’s easy to get these two mixed up but, Broad Crag col is narrow and steep sided, Ill Crag col is very wide. (I know I know, too much detail!) Now scramble up the final track and boulders to the summit of the highest mountain in England.
A serious word of caution: I’ve lost count how many people I’ve had to help down off this mountain, not because they were injured but because they were hopelessly lost. The summit area is a confusing mass of boulders and less than obvious tracks and it is easy to become disoriented, especially in mist and cloud. So, take a compass and a map, always take bearings, and have a clear plan of your route down!
The table below gives some important route data for this route and can be programmed into a gps. Note that distances and bearings are “as the crow flies” and not following pathways.




PositionElevation (ft) GridRef.GridRef BearingºDistance
(mile)
Seathwaite
Car Park
431NY23515121651810.77
Stockley
Bridge
650NY23455109301921.40
Ruddy
Gill head
2043NY22930087391260.44
Allen
Crags crossroads
2368NY23495083042190.20
Esk
Hause
2470NY23285080542660.50
Calf
Cove
2816NY22475080192320.37
Ill Crag Col2900NY22000076642300.21
Broad Crag
Col
2880NY21742074572190.19
Scafell Pike
Summit
3210NY2154707232  






Essential Gear


No climbing gear, good hiking boots, waterproofs, map and compass

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.