Wasdale-The Corridor Route

Wasdale-The Corridor Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 54.45000°N / 3.2°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Wasdale Head

Route Description


This is one of the most popular routes up Scafell Pike, whether your startpoint is Wasdale Head as described here, or from Seathwaite. It’s a real mountaineers route and takes you through some spectacular rock scenery once you enter the Corridor itself. From Wasdale its about 4.5 miles, and from Seathwaite closer to 5 miles.
Park your car at the parking area before the Wasdale Hotel and begin by following the path towards the small church. Take a few minutes to explore this church, see if you can find the stained glass window with the image of Napes Needle and the quote from the psalm, “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my strength”. Continue on the easy path to the first fork and take the lower route continuing up the valley. At the next fork take the higher route and continue along the flanks of Great Gable to Sty Head, a meeting of three tracks. Turn sharp right and descend slightly, this is the entry to the Corridor Route itself and follow it through the crags and scree of Great End and Broad Crag. Take a peek at Piers Gill as you pass it on your right and a few hundred yards past it take a sharp left away from Lingmell Col and up to the summit.
A serious word of caution: I’ve lost count how many people I’ve had to help down off this mountain, not because they were injured but because they were hopelessly lost. The summit area is a confusing mass of boulders and less than obvious tracks and it is easy to become disoriented, especially in mist and cloud. So, take a compass and a map, always take bearings, and have a clear plan of your route down!
The table below gives some important route data for this route and can be programmed into a gps. Note that distances and bearings are “as the crow flies” and not following pathways.



PositionElevation (ft) GridRef.GridRef BearingºDistance
(mile)
Wasdale
Head Car Park
243NY18650084600420.55
Burnthwaite346NY19270091150770.60
Path
Fork
505NY20220093150841.00
Sty
Head
1490NY21815094350850.23
Corridor
start
1601NY22185094602061.12
Piers
Gill
2371NY21360078492140.30
Dropping
Crags
2555NY21240076791450.34
Scafell Pike
Summit
3210NY2154707232  






Essential Gear


No climbing gear, good hiking boots and waterproofs, a map and compass

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.