Clark Peak (Mt. Konocti)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.98385°N / 122.79454°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2874 ft / 876 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Northwest Clear Lake from Clark Peak
Northwest Clear Lake from Clark Peak
Clark is a small peak on the northwestern flank of Mt. Konocti. It gets your attention off to the left from the start of the trail to Mt. Konocti. This diminutive mountain is well armored with thick chaparral. After a straight forward open approach it takes some diligent recon to find the use trail to the summit. In fact I probably would have given up at the old orchard at the base of the peak had it not been for Bob Burd's trip report. Even then the use trail is narrow and overgrown with rather harsh brush. A considerable amount of thrashing is inevitable. Not suprisingly I managed to transport a tick back to the house but ousted the little sucker with tweezers before he could get underway.
The summit rocks are class 3 and there are fine views of the north part of Clear Lake and surrounding mountains.

The round trip hike is approximately 4 miles with a 1,000' el. gain.

Getting There

 
Gate at the Clark Peak trail head
Gate at trail head to Clark Peak
 
Dirt road going up from Soda Bay Road
Dirt road up from Soda Bay Road
From Hwy. 29/175 between Lower Lake and Lakeport on the southwest side of Clear Lake at Kelseyville take Merritt Rd. east 1.3 miles to Gaddy Lane. Go north on Gaddy 2 miles to Soda Bay Road. Go right with a few turns on Soda Bay road 1.5 miles a short distance past the entrance to Clear Lake State Park to a dirt road (Glebe Rd.) going up to the right with a mail box before it. Take this fairly steep but well graded road up .7 mile to a closed gate on the left before the road turns to the right and park. The trail starts here.

Route

 
The  K  rocks
The "K" rocks at a break in the use trail
 
Old orchard with Clark Peak upper left
Old orchard with Clark Peak above before the use trail
Take the trail past the gate as it descends slightly and continue past another locked gate with an old road coming up from Soda Bay to the left. At a little less then a mile there is a fork that goes up to the left but stay to the right. It continues up hill through an open area to a 4 way junction but stay straight ahead. Then it becomes more narrow with high brush above on both sides until it comes out at an open area with the orchard to the right and the peak visible up to the left. Go all the way up to the right end corner of the orchard to find the narrow use trail up to the summit. The trail goes up until it comes out at the base of a giant "K" with purple rocks to be seen from the air. This narrow use trail resumes at the top of the right branch of the "K". Continue thrashing up to the summit rocks which involve about 50 verticle feet of class 3 scrambling to the top.
Poison oak may also be out in force on the summit use trail!

Red Tape

 
West view from Clark Peak summit rocks
West from summit rocks
The route to this peak runs through Clear Lake State Park and there are no posted restrictions.

When to Climb

 
Snow Mtn. from Clark Peak
Snow Mtn. from Clark Peak
Year around. Probably spring or fall would be best. There could be snow in winter and it can get upwards of 100 degrees in the summer.

Camping

 
Pine Mtn. across Clear Lake from the Clark Peak trail
Pine Mtn. from the Clark Peak trail
Clear Lake State Park offers a nearby camping option.

Current weather and forecast

 
Mt. Konocti from Clark Peak
Mt. Konocti from Clark Peak
Click here for the weather and forecast for Kelseyville.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 11, 2014 12:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Poison Oak

Don't forget to mention that the use trail has an abundance of poison oak to avoid as well! As always, your pictures are far better than my own. You actually make it look worthwhile to visit. :-)

Noondueler

Noondueler - Mar 11, 2014 8:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Poison Oak

Thanks Bob. I actually didn't see any poison oak at this time. Just that nasty brush whatever it is. I did a ridge above Lakeport yesterday and had to plow through a bunch of it on an old fire road there. Checked good for ticks and was ok! You're right the brush up here can be a real bear! I know you did a piece on ticks a while back. What do you recommend for dealing with them when you have to go through stuff like that? -Windsor

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 19, 2014 3:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Poison Oak

I'm wondering if the PO just wasn't leafing out when you were there, but it was definitely in abundance when I went through. Regarding ticks, my recommendation is pretty much spelled out in the article you referenced - wear light-colored clothes, long sleeve shirt/pants. Check for the pests periodically (but don't get obsessive) and do a thorough check when you shower later.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Mar 19, 2014 7:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Poison Oak

Maybe it was lack of rain, too in early in the season. There wasn't enough for me to take notice. I will mention it though since it will no doubt be back. Thanks again Bob.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4