Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.09762°N / 122.48921°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3587 ft / 1093 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Central Valley panorama from Cold Springs Mtn.
Central Valley pan from Cold Spring Mtn.
Cold Spring Mountain is the high point on the Walker Ridge that rises above Indian Valley Reservoir. The Walker Ridge Road (passable to all cars) takes you on an open viewed ride gaining elevation out of Cache Creek Wilderness. The views from the top of of Cold Spring are outstanding. On this clear January day i was there the Sutter Buttes and the Sierra were clear and the valley was covered with ground fog. There are fine views of the high peaks of the Mendocino National Forest over Indian Valley Reservoir to the west and north as well as Konocti and the Mayacamas Mountains to the southwest.

Getting There

 
Summit area of Cold Spring Mtn.
summit area
 
Cold Spring Mountain from the south
Cold Spring Mtn. from Walker Ridge Road
From the junction of Hwy. 20 and 53 take 20 17 miles to Walker Ridge Road.
From Williams take 20 18 miles to the junction with Hwy 16. Continue right on 20 6.6 miles to Walker Ridge Road.
Take Walker Ridge Road 5.4 miles to a junction. Left goes down to Indian Valley Reservoir. Go right and continue on Walker Ridge Road another 3 miles to the top of Cold Springs Mountain.

Route

 
Trail on Cold Spring Mountain
Trail on Cold Spring Mtn.
The route is pretty much the drive. It gets a little bumpy for about a mile along the way before the top. You can get out and explore the large open summit area. There is a small trail adjacent to the road the offers enjoyable views out over the reservoir and the mountains beyond.

Red Tape

 
Sutter Buttes from Cold Spring mtn.
Sutter Buttes from Cold Spring Mtn.
I saw no posted restrictions.
Click on this link for Indian Valley/Walker Ridge Bureau of Land Management for more info on land use.

When to Drive

 
Mt. Konocti from Cold Spring Mtn.
Mt. Konocti from Cold Spring Mtn.
When the road is open. It could easily be snowed in in winter. Could be washouts as well.
Call this number for current road info: 530 662 0265

Camping

 
Goat Mtn. Snow Mtn. and St John Mtn. from Cold Spring mountain
Goat, Snow and St John Mtn. from Cold Spring Mtn.

Click this link for camping info and scroll down a bit..

Current weather and forecast

 
Sutter Buttes from Cold Spring Mtn.
 
Click here for the current and 10 day forecast for Williams


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.