Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.51410°N / 106.5087°W
Additional Information County: Eagle
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12799 ft / 3901 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Deep in the heart of the Holy Cross Wilderness you'll find Grouse Mountain. Grouse Mountain lives at the end of the central chain of mountains in the Northern Sawatch range. This chain includes Mount Jackson and Unnamed 13244. While it doesn't crest the (semi)magical 13,000ft mark it is one of the most northerly peaks in the whole Sawatch range. Because it's not a 13er (much less a 14er) and it's peak lies over 7 miles away from the nearest trail head, you're very unlikely to see many people on this peak. The assent of the mountain is an easy Class 1 with bit of Class 2 near the top, the only hard part is the long hike in.

West Grouse CreekWest Grouse Creek

SummitSummit


Getting There

West Grouse Creek Trail #2129 - Trail head located just north of Minturn on Hwy24. After about 7 miles hiking through a wooded valley the trees open up and you'll find yourself at the foot of the mountain.

Beaver/Turquoise Lake #2109 - Trail head located in Beaver Creek Village. This trail takes you to the Turquoise lakes (after Beaver Lake) in 7 miles. At the lower Turquoise lake the trail connects with West Grouse Creek Trail, following this up the hill will bring you to the base of the mountain.

Trail IntersectionTrail Intersection

Red Tape

Like most major mountains in this area Grouse Mountain is in the White River National Forest and Holy Cross Wilderness Area. No motorized vehicles are allowed. Dogs must be on a leash. No camping within 100 feet of lakes, creeks, or trails. For more information...

Holy Cross Ranger District
24747 US HWY 24
P.O. Box 190
Minturn, CO, 81645
Phone: 970-827-5715

Camping

Because there's a minimum 15 mile round trip hike to this mountain camping may be a wise choice. There aren't any formal campsites in this area (and no camping at Beaver Lake and Beaver Creek Resort). There are some nice established sites near the intersection of West Grouse Creek and Grouse Mountain trails, as well as around both Turquoise lakes.

Views

Mount JacksonMount Jackson
Gore RangeGore Range
North Gold Dust PeakNorth Gold Dust Peak
Holy Cross RidgeHoly Cross Ridge



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Northern Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks