Hartford-- 5.8, 2 Pitches

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View from Hartford
View from Hartford

The Backside of Enchanted Rock has several 2- and 3-pitch routes of what mostly is slab climbing, and Hartford is one of those.

Because the Hartford line crosses Dome Driver and shares P1 anchors, it is easy to confuse the two, but both are distinct and worth doing "correctly."

Getting There

Set out on the Summit Trail and then take the Echo Canyon Trail. When that trail reaches a board with lots of information posted, head right on a good trail that follows the Backside and has several spur trails to various walls. Look for the Yellow Trail and take it to the base of the dome. The trail leads directly to the base of Cheap Wine Wall.

A black water streak with a single bolt on it leads up to an overlap and a large tree. This is the start of P1 of Dome Driver. Continue a few yards left and look for a bolt on a slab and below the same overlap. This is the start of Hartford.

Route Description

P1-- 5.8, 90'. Head up the slab and clip the bolt and move to the overlap. You could place a cam here, but a bolt that should be within reach of most climbers protects the move through the overlap. After that, there are two more bolts and a thin spot before reaching bolted anchors in Beer Can Alley. 5 bolts and anchors.

P2-- 5.7, 130'. Move up and right in Beer Can Alley until you see the bolts and are ready to make the moves. Protect with trad gear if you think you might blow it and don't want to take a nasty swing and directly load the anchors. The climbing on this pitch is probably 5.4-5.6 overall, but there is one thin section between two bolts that I think merits a 5.7 at least. 6 bolts.

Hartford P1
Hartford P1
Hartford P2
Hartford P2
Hartford P2
Hartford P2
Rappelling from P2 Anchors
Rappelling from P2 Anchors

Clamber up Class 4-5.2 low-angle, unprotected slab for a few yards until the angle makes you a hiker, and then just walk back down from the summit to the parking lot. If you're doing more climbing, then rappel back to the P1 anchors (you will need an 80 or two ropes 40 or longer) and rappel from there back to the base.

Essential Gear

At least 6 quickdraws, slings and such for bolted anchors. Trad gear optional for the overlap, Beer Can Alley, and making an anchor if you plan to top out and walk off.

 



Geography