Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.67809°N / 75.52614°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 19731 ft / 6014 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

In August 2014 an expedition composed of mountaineers from Austria and Pakistan explored the Ghujerab Mountains in the Karakorum Mountain Range close to the Pakistan / China border. In addition to a north-south traverse over the rarely crossed Chafchingol pass ending up close to the Khunjrab-Pass we looked forward to reach the top of the till then unclimbed and unnamed peak which dominates the Ghidims Dur (valley) including the camp site of Yahya camp. It was the morning of 23rd August 2014 when Stephan Tischler, Rahim Hayat, Christian Müller and Naseer Uddin reached the top of Igls Peak for the first time ever.

Igls Peak (6014m)
Igls Peak (6014m)
















Getting There

Start in Shimshal village and follow the trek over Boesan Pass to the base camp in the Ghidims valley (2-3 days).

Route

From the base camp follow the Ghidims valley until you reach the base of Igls Peak. Turn to the south and after 1-2 hrs at a stone man climb up to another side valley on the left side. When reaching the glacier stay on the left side.

Unnamed Image
Ghidims Valley


At 5220m there is a suitable place to build up the high camp. Follow the glacier in the eastern direction and turn sharply to the left where you can for the first time see the summit. Enter the steep glacier and follow it to the top, the last 100meters ice screws can be helpful.

Unnamed Image
Igls Peak (high camp, 5250m)

Red Tape

For trekking and climbing in the Ghidims valley a special permit issued by the ministry of tourism is needed. It is no longer necessary to obtain the permit in Islamabad, but you have to show up personally at the authority in Gilgit before you start and after you end the tour for briefing and debriefing.

When to Climb

July, August

Camping

There is no infrastructure for camping available. Be aware that spring water is limited to a few places.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The KarakoramMountains & Rocks