Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.94380°N / 13.78450°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7664 ft / 2336 m
Sign the Climber's Log

What's New On This Page?

  • Jan 21st, 2023: Interactive map embedded.
  • Jan 17th, 2019: Design corrections.
  • Oct 17th, 2004: Inserted links up, to the broader region (Gurktal Alps / Nockberge).
  • Oct 6th, 2004: Map added.

Overview

Koenigstuhl from the West
Koenigstuhl from the West

Nockgebirge are a group of gentle mountains east of Hohe Tauern. They are ideal for hiking in all times of season and for skiing. The only mountaineers who will there not enjoy much are rock climbers, because almost all the peaks are rounded and there are no big walls. The heigths of the peaks reach up to 2400 meters.

Koenigstuhl (The King's Throne) is a typical mountain of this region, still, it is refreshing that it's north slope is quite rocky (although only a bit more than 200 m high). The mountain is ideal for hiking and tour skiing. It is often ascended and offers from its top also a great panorama, especially towards the west on Hohe Tauern.

North of Koenigstuhl there is a beautiful Rosanintal (valley). In winter, from dr. Josef Mehrl's hut into the valley usually goes a cross-country ski track, which climbs from around 1700 m to the plateau below Koenigstuhl's north face, on more than 2000 m.

The north face of...Nhe N face
Going from Koenigstuhl to...From the NW
Pfannock summit viewFrom the S

Getting There

Gurktal Alps / Nockberge
Gurktal Alps / Nockberge
In Rosanintal - a beautiful,...
In Rosanintal - a beautiful,...

You go off the highway Villach - Salzburg either in Gmuend (on the south) or in Rennweg (on the north) and then drive by the old road through the valley of Lieser to Kremsbruecke. Here you turn eastwards into the valley of Kremsbach to the tourist resort of Innerkrems (1480 m). An option to start the tour on Koenigstuhl is already in the town. But you can also proceed through the village further towards the east and reach the plateau at Dr. Josef Mehrl Huette (1730 m), where you park freely. This point can also be reached by car from the north, from the valley of river Mur if you turn south near St. Michael.

The other possibility to climb Koenigstuhl is from the Nockalmstrasse (the panoramic mountain road, toll!), where you can start hiking on the altitude of around 2000 m.

Routes Overview

See full screen

Reaching the top:

Skiing from Koenigstuhl....
Poor skiing conditions

1. From Dr. Josef Mehrl Huette (1730 m) you go south through the beautiful Rosanintal (valley), below the north slopes of Koenigstuhl turn right (towards SW) and go up to Friesenhalshoehe (2246 m) and then by the west ridge to the top. 2 hours. In winter and spring this is a beautiful mountain ski tour.

2. From the Nockalmstrasse (2000 m) you go towards the north on Eisentalhoehe (2180 m) from where you proceed towards the nort-east to Friesenhalshoehe (2246 m) and on the top. A good hour, if you pass the Eisentalhoehe by its eastern slopes.

For longer hikings (or skiing), consider the following options:

a. From Innerkrems. We can do a round tour, visiting 7 summits, higher than 200 m.
b. South approach (from Rosental)
c. East approach (from Nesselbach).
The latter two routes join on Stangscharte (2076 m).

You can see an official map also on: http://www.austrianmap.at/.

Red Tape

No limitations, but the whole area is a natural park.

The Nockalmstrasse is opened from May to October (toll!).

When To Climb

Any time of the season.

Camping

  1. Dr. Josef Mehrl Huette (1730 m).
  2. Nockalmhof, 1700 m, is a private hut. Contact data: Family Aschbacher, A-9862 Kremsbruecke, No. 91, Austria. Tel: +43 4736 283.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gurktal Alps / NockbergeMountains & Rocks