Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.91780°N / 106.8414°W
Additional Information County: Mineral & Saguache
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13710 ft / 4179 m
Sign the Climber's Log

La Garita Wilderness Overview

The 130,000 acre La Garita Wilderness is located eight miles north of Creede, Colorado in the San Juan Range. The La Garita Wilderness was one of Colorado's original five wilderness areas designated in 1964 by the Wilderness Act. It was enlarged in both 1980 and 1993 and today encompasses almost thirty five miles of the Continental Divide. The La Garita Wilderness is one of Colorado's less visited wilderness areas and is home to large herds of elk, deer and bighorn sheep. The mountains around the Wheeler Geologic Area show strange shaped volcanic tuff resulting from years of erosion. The Wheeler Geologic Area was once a National Monument, but the area's difficult access led to Congress to abolish the designation. Relatively popular destinations within the Wilderness include Machin Lake, Wheeler Geologic Area and San Luis Peak. San Luis Peak is the highpoint of the Wilderness and the only fourteener within its boundaries.
La Garita Peak
La Garita Peak

La Garita Peak Overview

La Garita Peak is the namesake peak of the La Garita Wilderness. La Garita means "The Lookout" in spanish. La Garita Peak is located on the same ridge as "Phoenix Peak" and can easily be climbed together via a Class 2 ridge run. The summit provides good views of Machin Lake and Saguache Creek's Middle Fork.
 Phoenix Peak  from La Garita Peak
"Phoenix Peak" from La Garita Peak

Getting There

From the Mineral County Courthouse on the north end of Creede, Colorado, drive 0.7 miles north, turn right, cross Nelson Creek on a bridge, drive northeast up East Willow Creek, stay left at mile 3.7 and reach the two wheel drive trailhead at mile 4.0 where the main road switchbacks left. Four wheel drive vehicles can continue 1.6 miles further to the intersection with old Center Stock Driveway. Follow old Center Stock Driveway to treeline. Travel crosscountry directly towards the summit.
La Garita Peak West Face Route
La Garita Peak's West Face Route. Click to enlarge

Red Tape

La Garita Peak is in the La Garita Wilderness of the Rio Grande National Forest.

Camping

There are sites at the trailhead.

External Links

Lists of John

Literature

Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas
Colorado's Thirteeners: 13,800 To 13,999 Feet, From Hikes to Climbs
Guide to the Colorado Mountains
Colorado's High Thirteeners


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
La Garita WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
San Juan Range Highest 50Mountains & Rocks