Horseshoe Mesa

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.02414°N / 111.97591°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5246 ft / 1599 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Horseshoe Mesa is a popular hike in Grand Canyon National Park. Halfway down the Grandview Trail, the mesa features mining ruins, the only open natural cave in the park, and a small summit with fantastic views. Although plenty of hikers venture down to the mesa, very few actually visit the summit itself, requiring a short 30' class 4 pitch. Those that make the journey will be rewarded with outstanding views of Vishnu Temple across the Colorado River and a Grand Canyon summit all to yourself.

View to Vishnu Temple.

 

Getting There

Enter the South Rim via either Tusayan or Cameron. Once in the park, Horseshoe Mesa can be approached by the Grandview Trail, about 10 miles east of the south rim visitor center and 13 miles west of Desert View Tower.

Route

Hike down the Grandview Trail, dropping all the way through the Supai to the mesa above the Redwall. You'll quickly encounter some old mining ruins. Find the use trail that weaves to the west towards the Cave of Domes, a worthy side trip if you have the time. Scope out your line up Horseshoe Mesa from the use trail and leave when about halfway across the summit rocks.

Horsehoe Mesa from along the use trail to Cave of Domes.

 

Hike up some class 3 weaknesses in the center of the face before traversing east to reach the final summit band, only to cut back west to a final class 4 weakness.

Class 4 weakness.

 

Many parties do this unroped, although the last few moves are exposed and many may want a belay. A rappel station is located on a large juniper tree just above the class 4 crack. Bring webbing to refresh the anchor.

Red Tape

Admission to GCNP is $30 for 7 days. I highly recommend the "America the Beautiful" Pass for $80, which covers the entrance fees for all federally managed parks and land for one year. No additional permits are needed unless you're planning on incorporating this into a backcountry trip. 

Class 2-3 ledges on the south slopes.

 

When to Climb

As with most hiking in Arizona, Fall and Spring are the best. Summer can be brutally hot, particularly in the lower canyon. Winter can bring serious ice down Grandview trail, which is entirely in shade on the north facing wall of the rim. 

Camping

Horseshoe Mesa has several backcountry sites with a pit toilet, making for a good backpacking option. Nearby Miner's spring can intermittently provide water although has high uranium levels. Check with the Grand Canyon backcountry office for updates. There are two developed campgrounds on the South Rim: Mather (which takes reservations) and Desert View. There is plenty of places for camping at large in the National Forest just outside the park.

View NW from the summit to Brahma Temple.

 

External Links

Trip Report: The Mountains Are Calling

Horsehoe Mesa

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.