Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.60727°N / 107.49386°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13684 ft / 4171 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Sorry for the inactivity. Soon after I adopted this page, my wife had serious health issues, and things such as updating this page were deemed trivial. She is doing much better now, and I plan on having this page done by mid-March.

Oso is a fantastic mountain, and I look forward to sharing my knowledge with you all. Thanks for your patience.

Overview

Getting There

Route Options

Mount Oso Challenge

Continental Divide Hike

When To Climb

Camping

Mountain Conditions

Vicinity Photos

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 26, 2013 11:35 am - Hasn't voted

addition to page

Mount Oso Group is remote and not frequently visited group. It is bordered on the north by the Continental Divide, to the west by the deep gorge of the Vallecito, and to the east by the Los Pines River. The area was first visited by surveyors in the 1870s, and the high point, Mount Oso, was climbed by the Hayden team. 
Hayden team found Mount Oso to be “very steep and difficult to climb. Just below the summit, the party was startled by a small grizzly bear which suddenly jumped up a few yards in front of them. The encounter prompted the Hayden team to name the peak “Mount Oso”, which is the Spanish word for bear. Colorado Rank: 157 Mount Oso lords over a collection of mostly unnamed twelvers and thirteeners that in the past attracted few climbers. But the large number of fine lakes, and an excellent trail system, make this part of the Weminuche Wilderness very popular with backpackers and fishermen.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks