Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.43400°N / 117.355°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6584 ft / 2007 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This is the massive peak on the NE side of Panamint Valley. It's huge stripes are impressive and hint at an interesting geologic past. 

The peak makes for a challenging day via any route. The summit itself is somewhat anticlimatic being rather flat at the top - after all, it is a butte. But the views over Panamint Valley and beyond make up for that.


Getting There


For the western and "Rockslide" routes, take the Lake Hill Road north from Highway 190 in Panamint Valley. The turnoff is about two miles east of the junction of Highway 190 and the Panamint Valley Road. Drive Lake Hill Road to the parking area for the Panamint Dunes. Here, the road curves northeast toward the mountains and the Big Four Mine.

The road soon gets rougher, then very rough, and a high clearance 4WD will be needed to get very far. When I climbed the western route, I played it safe and simply parked at the Dunes parking area and hiked from there. This extra easy distance provided a warm-up and wind-down.

This road reaches the Wilderness boundary soutwest of the Big Four Mine at around 36.4309,-117.3993. There may or may not be a sign or barrier here.

Map showing the Wilderness corridor for the road toward Big Four Mine

 

For the Towne Pass route, take Highway 190 to Towne Pass. This is the pass between Death Valley proper and Panamint Valley. There's plenty of space to park at the pass.

For the Lemoigne Canyon route, see the directions on the route page.

Red Tape


These routes lie within Death Valley National Park. So an entrance fee applies. Also, no ATV's, etc. are allowed on the dirt roads.

When To Climb


The cooler months of the year are recommended. The peak can accumulate some snow in the winter.  Summer is inadvisable as it would be very hot, and probably too hot even to hike from Towne Pass.

Camping


Informal camp sites are available along the Lake Hill Road (approach for the west side and "Rockslide" routes) and the Lemoigne Canyon Road. Current regulations require you to drive at least one mile up either road before camping

Links

Death Valley NP Backcountry Map:  https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/508-Backcountry-and-Wilderness-Access-map_.pdf

Death Valley NP Alerts & Conditions:  https://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Death Valley NP on Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyNPS 

[Death Valley Road Conditions on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRoadConditions   Apparently no longer updated]



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Panamint RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Death ValleyMountains & Rocks
 
California Desert PeaksMountains & Rocks