Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.73559°N / 122.45151°W
Additional Information County: San Fransisco
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 927 ft / 283 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Davidson is the highest point in the City and County of San Francisco. It is closely surrounded on all sides by a highly urban area. At the summit there is a large cross that is dedicated to the victims of the Armenian Genocide. The summit is very flat and roomy and provides some shaded views of the city. 

Getting There

Now here's the fun part. To get to Mt. Davidson from Highway 1 (19th Ave.), travel east on Vicente Street from 19 Avenue. Travel 1/2 mile to Portola Drive and turn left. In just after 1/2 mile, turn right onto Miraloma Drive, then a quick left up Marne Drive. Be sure to stay on Marne, and not to veer right onto Juanita Drive. Continue up Marne to the intersection of Landsdale, which goes right, and Dalewood, which goes left. Take Dalewood for about .35 miles until you come to Myra Way, where the trailhead is located on the left side of the street. Park here and hike up to the summit. Basically all trails you see will go up to the summit, so it isn't very difficult to navigate.

Weather Conditions



Camping

No camping. 

Red Tape

None.

Climbing History

Thanks to Dave Dinnell for this info:

There is some history (so to speak)- There is an old bolt ladder that was put up on the back side of the cross (probably 1970's.) Not sure if there is much remnant of it now other than some holes. Rumor has it a bolt blew on a solo aid climber, killing him in the fall. When I checked it out many years ago, the first bolt was missing, most of the rest of the aid ladder was still there-manky rusted hangers on 1/4 bolts, a couple of hangers missing (may have been the third or fourth also blown out.) Not the kind of place to practice aid climbing.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SF Bay Area PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
 
California Coastal PeaksMountains & Rocks