Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.14763°N / 122.76558°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4618 ft / 1408 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Pinnacle Rock east shoulder
South from Pinnacle Rock east shoulder
 
Pinnacle Rock looking north
North from Pinnacle Rock
This is an instant gratification peak like Moro Rock in Kings Canyon where a short walk-up yields panoramas that usually require an honest days work to earn.
The Bartlett Springs Road climbs dramatically winding up from the north end of Clear Lake into the heights of the Mendocino National Forest. It reaches an elevation 4,000' at Bartlett Springs Summit and continues on down over ridges to Indian Valley Reservoir for a total of 26 miles. The road passes below the southwest slope of Pinnacle Rock, the highest peak in the area.
The southeast slope is doable from the road but much of it is nasty scrub brush, loose crumbly rock and scree which makes the little drive though the forest from the north to within a stroll of the summit rocks a welcome alternative. Pinnacle Rock once had a fire lookout and there are rock steps leading up a short distance to the class 2 summit rocks which are much more solid than the rock below.
The views are quite outstanding for the minimal effort. North is hulking Goat and Snow Mountain, to the east Rupert Ridge, Evans Peak and Wolf Creek Ridge, to the south is Clear Lake with Mt. Konocti and Cobb Mtn. on the horizon. To the northwest is Windy Point and Horse Mtn. with the Mayacamas Range to the west beyond Clear Lake.
For the excellent views south and east go beyond Pinnacle Rock east on the road below it out about 1/4 mile to the open east shoulder. 

Getting There

 
2 of the 3 Stooges
Taking a break on the Bartlett Springs Road
From the northwest: From the junction Of Hwy. 29 west of Upper Lake take Hwy. 20 7 miles southwest along the lake shore just past Nice to the Bartlett Springs Road.
From the east: From the junction with Hwy. 53 just east of Clearlake Oaks take Hwy. 20 16 miles northwest along the lake shore to Bartlett Springs Road.
Drive up Bartlett Springs Road as it winds up for 6.1 miles to Bartlett Springs Summit. At that junction take forest road 16N01 which goes to the left and follow it 1.3 miles to a T in the road. Go right a short distance and park.

Route

 
Clear Lake from Pinnacle Rock
Clear Lake from Pinnacle Rock
The road continues about half a mile to where it goes up to the left through some trees to the stone steps going up to the summit rocks which are hidden from view on the approach.
It is a short walk of less than half mile with a few hundred foot gain.
You can drive all the way to below the summit rocks if this last part of the road which is rutted is suitable for your vehicle.

Red Tape

 
Clear Lake with Mt. Konocti from Pinnacle Rock
Clear Lake and Mt. Konocti from Pinnacle Rock
This is Mendocino National Forest and there are no posted restrictions or permits required.

When to Climb

 
Long Valley from the Bartlett Springs Road
Long Valley from the Bartlett Springs Road.
Year around. This peak gets snow in winter and the Bartlett Springs Road closes in that case. It gets hot in summer up to 100 degrees.

Camping

 
East from Pinnacle Rock
East from Pinnacle Rock
This is National Forest. Some of it goes through private lands but car camping is allowed.
For Mendocino National Forest camping info click here.

Weather and 10 day forecast

Click here for the forecast for Nice Ca.