Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79195°N / 122.64632°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2585 ft / 788 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Afternoon light on Harbin Mountain
St. Helena from Harbin Mtn.
Harbin Mountain along with the hot springs has been heavily burnt out by the Valley Fire and hiking could be risky with burnt unstable trees etc. (10/6/15

Harbin Hot Springs is a popular resort up in a canyon northwest of Middletown. Harbin Mountain is the high point above the hot springs on a ridge coming down from Boggs Mountain. It can be approached from Harbin Hot Springs, Boggs Mountain or Big Canyon.
This is a very pleasant hike from Big Canyon to a fine viewpoint. Especially southeast over Long and Collayomi Valleys to Mt. St. Helena.

Getting There

 
Cobb Mtn.and Boggs Mtn. from Harbin Mtn.
Cobb and Boggs (foreground) from Harbin
From the light in Middletown at the crossing of Hwy 29 and Hwy 175 go west 3 blocks on 175  to Barnes. Go right on Barnes which becomes Big Canyon Road and continue for 2.4 miles (stay right at the fork to Harbin Hot Springs) to a locked gate on the left across from an open stable on the hillside to the right. Park to the side.

Route

 
trailhead gate on Big canyon Road.
Gate at Big Canyon Road
 
Harbin Mtn. south slope
Harbin summit from the south slope
Hop the gate and follow the old road up to the ridge which becomes the south ridge of Harbin Mountain. Always opt for the fork going up since the road branches off to the right down the east side of the mountain a few times.

It is approximately 4 miles and 1,400' el. gain round trip.

Red Tape

 
route up Harbin Mtn. south ridge
south ridge of Harbin
This route from Big Canyon is the one I took. It is a very isolated approach on a seldom used road. I encountered nothing and no one.  It may have been private property but there were not posted signs anywhere accept at the top of the mountain where the Harbin Hot Springs boundary appears to be.

There is a trail out of the Harbin Hot Springs grounds but I believe you have to be a guest to have access to the recreational activities such as hiking the mountain from their side.

It can also be approached from Boggs Mountain but those routes encounter private holdings and are questionable.

When to Climb

 
Collayomi Valley and Mt. St Helena from Harbin Mountain
St. Helena from Harbin Mtn.
Spring and fall are best. Summers can get brutally hot and it could recieve snow in winter.

Camping

 
Cobb Mtn. from Putah Creek
Cobb Mtn. from Putah Creek
Camping near Harbin Hot Springs link

Current weather and 10 day forecast

Click here for the forecast for Harbin Hots Springs.

Harbin Hot Springs

Harbin Hot Springs map of trails including Harbin mtn. from The Hot Springs area.