Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.88745°N / 122.74631°W
Additional Information County: Lake
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3978 ft / 1212 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Mayacamas Mtns.  from Clear Lake
Mt. Hannah from Clear Lake with Seigler left and Cobb back left
Most of us on SP are in the business of climbing mountains to one degree or another.
Different variables come into play in terms of what we want or expect from a peak.
Mount Hannah is one of those "just gotta cross this one off the list" mountains.

Hannah is in the Mayacamas Range 5.5 miles north of Cobb Mtn.. Like most peaks in the area it is thoroughly forested. It is also on private property. This is the third highest mountain in the range and must have great views but you're not likely to see them. The summit is a small clearing surrounded by forest. I talked to a local dirt biker and he told me hikers are not likely to get hassled. The route I took saw no one. It's a straight forward forest road hike up a network of old roads out of use many covered with sticks and pine cones that weave to the top. The hike is 3.9 miles round trip and 1,342' total el. gain.

Getting There

 
Over Clear Lake to Mt. Konocti from Poe Mtn.
Over Clear Lake from Poe Mtn to Konocti, Seigler, Hannah and Cobb
From Middletown Take Hwy 175 west at the light. Go 12.7 miles up through Cobb and past Hobergs to Harrington Flat. Harrington Flat Road goes to the left. At 1.5 miles it comes to a fork at Sulphur Creek Road. Stay right on Harrington Flat Rd. and go another 1.8 miles to the crossing of the power line easement that runs across the lower south side of Mt. Hannah. There is a private gate. Park to the side.

From Hwy. 29 near Kelseyville Take Bottlerock Road 4.2 miles to Harrington Flat Rd. Go left on Harrington Flat Rd. 1.4 more miles to the junction with the power easement and park.

Route

 
North from Mt. St. Helena
Mayacamas Range north from Mt. St. Helena.  Hannah is right of Cobb, the big mt. on left.
Cobb Mtn. from Mt. Hannah
Cobb Mtn. from Hannah south slope above the clearing
 
Route goes up right here
Route goes up to the right here from the canyon at base of west slope.
 
Gate above the clearing
Gate at top of clearing leading into canyon below west slope.
 
Clearing on the south slope of Mt. Hannah
Clearing on south slope below gate leading into west slop canyon
There is a wire fence to slip through. To the left a gravel road goes up to a dwelling. To the right is the power line easement running along the lower south side of Mt. Hannah. I took the power line route about a quarter mile to where the easement starts to drop down before going back up and cut left across the forest through a small ravine and up through a clearing of cut trees and wood piles to a road and gate. This gate leads up though a small canyon where I went right and just kept going up though a series of junctions (just keep going up) until I hit the forested top.

Red Tape

 
Mt. Konocti, Mt. Hannah and Cobb Mtn. from Elk Mtn.
Konocti, Hannah and Cobb from Elk Mtn. north of Clear Lake
This is private property but I gather no one would care as long as you don't infringe on anybody. I didn't see anyone.

When to Climb

 
Storm over Mayacamas Mtns.
Hannah and Konocti from above east Clear Lake 
Year around. Best time spring or fall. Summers are dry and hot. Winters cold and wet with occasional snow.

Camping

 
Over Long Valley from Wolf Creek Ridge
St. Helena, Boggs, Cobb, Hannah and Konocti from Wolf Creek Ridge
Click here for a selection of camping options in the area.

Current weather and 10 day forecast

Click here for the forecast for Cobb.