Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.72775°N / 110.88117°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10975 ft / 3345 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Uinta Mountains of eastern Utah contains the largest area of high elevation, and most of the highest peaks of the state - including the highest: Kings Peak in the eastern part of the range. This range of mountains is unusual in having the main axis or 'spine' oriented in an east to west direction, resulting from anticlinal folding. Many peaks thrust well above timberline (which is about 10 to 11,000 feet in this area). The beautiful sculpted scenery of prominent steep mountains among broad forested lake basins results from heavy glaciations in the distant past. The western extent of the range is accessible by many roads, and is relatively convenient to the major population center of Utah (the Wasatch Front).

An un-named peak, 10975' in elevation, is described here. This area is heavily used - the peak is due south of Ruth Lake and the Ruth Lake rock climbing area, and due north of a scout camp (Camp Steiner). It is a short, easy hike to fairly high elevation; one can be at the summit in less than an hour of moderate pace hiking. Like a similar short nearby hike to high elevation (Bald Mountain), do not expect solitude; but both of these are good choices if one is limited on time. 

Getting There

Utah State highway 150 (accessible from either end: Evanston, Wyoming or Kamas, Utah) is used. Start at either Pass Lake trailhead or Ruth Lake trailhead. The hike is similarly short from both starting places. The description presented here starts at the Pass Lake trailhead (mile 32.1 on highway 150).

Route

Starting hiking at the Pass Lake trailhead (elevation 10157'). Go north on Trail 158 passing Scout Lake (with a large Boy Scout camp - Camp Steiner - on the opposite side of the lake). About 1.3 miles of walking gets one to the west end of a broad pass between peak 10975 and highlands to the west ('Lofty and Scout Peaks'). There is a sturdy metal sign at this trail junction. From here, the goal peak is plain directly to the east - about 0.6 mile of off-trail boulder-hopping will get you to the broad summit. There is some stunted subalpine fir - some krummholz - but mostly a sea of rock with excellent views all around. 

Total hike distance from Pass Lake TH: about 1.91 miles (measured by GPS). Total hike distance from Ruth Lake TH is estimated at 2.2 miles.

The summit is very broad and the 'true summit' (the surveyed point) cannot be found. As befitting its proximity to Camp Steiner, there are many cairns and wind shelters on the summit. The view south toward Bald Mountain and Reids Peak is particularly excellent. This peak lies on the boundary line of Summit and Duchesne counties.

When to Climb

The trailhead is accessible when the Utah Department of Transportation opens the locked gate (south one is located near Soapstone Campground) in the spring. Snow machines are allowed on highway 150 when snow-covered. 

Camping

The US Forest Service campgrounds Moosehorn, Mirror Lake and Butterfly Lake are close by to the south. Responsible dispersed camping is allowed - regulations are stated at the trailheads. The Ruth Lake basin is heavily used by backpackers.

Red Tape

A Recreation Pass (small fee) is required for all parked vehicles in this area. One can purchase the pass at kiosks along the road. An annual federal recreation pass, such as the America the Beautiful interagency recreation pass, is also valid.

External Links

If you are interested in geology of this area, I recommend the following:

Roadside Geology of Utah (2nd edition, 2014), F. Williams, L. Chronic & H. Chronic. Mountain Press Publishing Company, Missoula, Montana.

The Geologic Story of the Uinta Mountains - Geological Survey Bulletin 1291. Wallace R. Hansen. USGS, third printing 1983.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.