Grosser Mittager / Monte Catino

Grosser Mittager / Monte Catino

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67441°N / 11.27678°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7946 ft / 2422 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grosser Mittager / Monte Catino (2422m) is a flat-top mountain in South Tyrol. It belongs to the hiking and skiing area Meran 2000 east of Meran/Merano. Meran 2000 with the highest summits Verdinser Plattenspitze, Grosser Ifinger and Grosser Mittager is a part of the Sarntal Alps. The ascent to Grosser Mittager is a easy hike and can also be done by mountain-bike. From the top of Grosser Mittager you have a great view to Verdinser Plattenspitze and Grosser Ifinger. If the weather is fine you would have a fantastic view into the Dolomites east of the Sarntal Alps.

Routes to Grosser Mittager:
You reach Grosser Mittager from the two huts Kesselberghuette (2300m) and Mittagerhuette (2260m) in 30-45 minutes on both tracks.

You reach the huts in 90-120 minutes from the mountain-station of the cable-car Meran 2000 (Falzeben). You can also you use one of the two cable-cars from Kirchsteigeralm (1965m) to reach directly one of the two huts.

It is also possible to ascent to Mittagerhuette and Grosser Mittager from the East. In this case you start in Astfeld in the Penser-valley / Val di Pennes using track #18 and #10 to Mittagerhuette and continuing to Grosser Mittager. It is a 1250 meters elevation gain.



View from WestGrosser Mittager
Track from MittagerhuetteTrack from Mittagerhuette
Kesselberghuette and EssenbergEssenberg

Getting There

I have marked the way up to...Map to Falzeben
Saint KathreinSt. Kathrein
  • Access to MERAN 2000 via Falzeben cable-car:
    From Bozen (South and East), St. Leonardo (North) and the Vinschgau-valley you drive to Meran / Merano. From the eastern part of Meran to Vernaun following the signs to "Hafling". Via St. Kathrein to a junction short before Hafling. Follow the signs to "Falzeben". There are parkings.

  • Access to MERAN 2000 via cable-car from Vernaun:
    From Meran / Merano to Vernaun. There are parkings. Via cable-car through the Naif-valley / Val di Nova to Meran 2000.

  • Ascent from Astfeld (Penser-valley / Val di Pennes):
    From Bozen drive to the North into the Sarn-valley / Valle Sarentina towards Sarnthein / Sarentino and continue towards Astfeld.

Red Tape

There are no permits or fees for Meran 2000 except for parkings and cable-cars.

Maps and books

  • Kompass WK 053 Meran/Merano - 1:25.000 - ISBN: 3-85491-060-6

  • Kompass WK 53 Meran und Umgebung/Merano e dintorni - 1:50.000 - ISBN: 3-85491-059-2



Links