Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano

Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.70879°N / 11.49599°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8468 ft / 2581 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kassianspitze and SamspitzeKassianspitze and Samspitze from Blankenhorn

Together with Getrummspitze / Cima Getruna, which is 8m higher, Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano is the highest mountain of its subgroup among the Sarntal Alps. Among this horseshoe-shaped mountain range it takes one of the southernmost positions before the giant pasture of Villanderer Alm out of which only occasional flat-topped mountains rise. And thanks to its location close to one of Südtirol's oldest pilgrimage chapels, it is also one of the most important and most visited mountains of the area.

In ancient times, when neither the Eisacktal Valley / Valle d'Isarco nor the Sarntal Valley / Val Sarentino could be traveled due to the wild and narrow gorges at their southern ends the high plateaus and pastures high above were of huge importance. Many traffic routes led across them remainders of which can be found until today. The northern end of these high roads was near Latzfons and Feldthurns, were an easy slope facilitates ascent and descent into Eisacktal (east). In addition a similarly easy route leads through Getrumtal / Val Getruna into Sarntal / Val Sarentino in the west. All these routes and trails culminate in the Lückl Saddle (2370m), in the close proximity of which a pilgrimage chapel was erected: Heiligenkreuz / San Croce di Lazfons. Today it is best known by the German name of the inn / hut which accompanies it: Latzfonser Kreuz.
Kassianspitze and Samspitze
Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano
Kassianspitze and Samspitze

Inn and chapel are located at the mouth of the cirque of three mountains: Samspitze (2552m) in the west, Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano (2581m) in the centre (north) and Ritzllarspitze (2474m) to the east. The highest one of them, Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano, can be reached by several hiking trails, the most popular of which is the scramble to Kassiansee / Lago San Cassiano in the centre of the cirque, from where a roundaboutish trail leads across the west ridge of the mountain. More interesting are the ridge traverses across either of the other summits which can be combined in a "tour de cirque". Distances are small and such a tour will take little more than two hours when started at Latzfonser Kreuz. However, all three mountains are composed of horrid rock and the exposed traverse across Samspitze can be considered quite gangerous.
Getrumspitze Group and Kassianspitze Group
Ritzlarspitze, Kassianspitze
Plankenhorn (2543m), Kassianspitze (2581m) and Gertrumspitze (2589m)

Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano is a wonderful lookout summit thanks to its rather solitary location close to the eastern end of the Sarntal Alps. However, the summit is very small and with the number of daily visitors it can become quite crowded. Moreover, a 360° photographic panorama has been installed on top, indicating the important summits all around. There is a bench and a summit cross, all competing for the little space there is.

Summit Panorama

Ötztal-, Stubai- and Zillertal Alps from Kassianspitze




Zillertal Alps Main RidgeZillertal Alps
Tribulaun GroupTribulaun Group
Hasenöhrl and KönigspitzeHasenöhrl and Königspitze
HochwildeHochwilde
Hohe Weiße and SimilaunHohe Weiße and Similaun
Hinterer SeelenkogelHinterer Seelenkogel
HochfirstHochfirst

Getting There

Villanderer AlmVillanderer Alm with Getrumspitze and Kassianspitze

There are two reasonable trailheads for Kassianspitze, one at Reinswald / San Martino in Sarntal / Val Sarentino (or rather Durnholztal / Valdurna) and Lazfons in Eisacktal / Valle Isarco. Both trailheads are connected by the pilgrimage trail to the sanctuary at Lazfonser Kreuz / S. Croce di Lazfons.
  • Reinswald / San Martino trailhead
    • Take Brenner Motorway A22 to Bozen / Bolzano
    • Drive through the city, following signs to Sarntal / Val Sarentino on SS508
    • At Astfeld / Campolasta turn off onto SP137, direction Durnholz / Valdurna
    • At Unterreinswald / San Martino Bassa turn onto SP138 to Reinswald / San Martino. Park at the cable-car station.
  • Lazfons trailhead
    • Take Brenner motorway A22 to the exit Klausen / Chiusa.
    • Take SP74 to Feldthurns / Velturno
    • Turn left onto SP142 to Lazfons

Red Tape

Sarntal Alps seen from the saddle separating Kassianspitze from Getrumspitze

There's no red tape. You might have to cross pasture gates which you are requested to shut behind you.

Accommodation

Eisacktal / Valle Isarco

Bozen / Bolzano

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps

  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Sarntal/Val Sarentino
      Kompass Map WK 056
      1:35.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-340-0
    • Brixen / Bressanone
      Kompass Map WK 56
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-063-0
    • Bozen / Bolzano
      Kompass Map WK 54
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-061-4
    • BOLZANO-RENON / BOZEN-RITTEN-TSCHÖGGLBERG
      Tabacco Map 034
      1:25.000
    • MONTE SARENTINI / SARNTALER ALPEN
      Tabacco Map 040
      1:25.000


Books

  • Bozen-Salten-Schlern
    Kompass Guidebook WF953
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 3-85491-406-7
  • Rund um Bozen
    Helmut Dumler
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4267-2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.