Morgenrast / Monte Mattina

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.70511°N / 11.44815°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7713 ft / 2351 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Morgenrast / Monte MattinaMorgenrast / Monte Mattina in front of Sarntal northern ridge and Ötztal Alps

Morgenrast / Monte Mattina is a small summit to the west of the Kassian Group of the Sarntal Alps. It is the beginning or end of a ridge, which includes the most important summits of the group, Blankenhorn / Corno Bianco, Getrumspitze / Cima Gethruna and Kassianspitze / Cima San Cassiano among others. The ridge runs from west to east, spanning the whole width of the eastern branch of the Sarntal Alps Horseshoe. The full traverse of the ridge contains eight summits, all of them standing high above the wide pasture of Villanderer Alm / Malga di Villandro, thus offering wide views across the alm.

Morgenrast / Monte Mattina is a bit of an exception, as it is located a bit to the north of the ridge. As the lowest mountain its views are limited by the higher mountains around so that only the eastern and northern sides are open. In another sense Morgenrast / Monte Mattina, however, is typical, a ridge mountain with steep slopes / faces to the south and north and a broad crest running from east to west. The north face drops off for several hundred metres into Durnholzer Tal / Valdurna while the south face reaches the Reinswald ski run only after some 50m.
Karnspitz / Cima di Quaire
Getrumspitze / Cima Gethruna
Morgenrast / Monte Mattina Summit Cros
Jakobspitze / Cima di San Giacomo

The shortest "ascent" to Morgenrast / Monte Mattina starts at the chair lift to neighbouring Pichlberg. This mountain, located to the south of Morgenrast / Monte Mattina is some 15m higher and following the ski run leads you to the east ridge of our mountain. The regular ascent starts at the cable-car station in the valley. After passing the ski run several times the route reaches the wide meadows to the west of Morgenrast / Monte Mattina. From there it heads across the east ridge towards the summit cross.

Summit Panorama to the North-West

Summit panorama from Morgenrast towards the Sarntal and Ötztal Alps

Getting There

The best trailhead for Morgenrast / Monte Mattinais at Reinswald / San Martino in Sarntal / Val Sarentino (or rather Durnholztal / Valdurna). There are ski lifts which run to neighbouring Pichlberg, which is about the same height as Morgenrast / Monte Mattina.

You also can start in Eisacktal / Valle d'Isarco but the route is very long. Moreover there are more interesting summits if you start from this side.
  • Take Brenner Motorway A22 to Bozen / Bolzano
  • Drive through the city, following signs to Sarntal / Val Sarentino on SS508
  • At Astfeld / Campolasta turn off onto SP137, direction Durnholz / Valdurna
  • At Unterreinswald / San Martino Bassa turn onto SP138 to Reinswald / San Martino. Park at the cable-car station.

Red Tape

There's no red tape. Morgenrast / Monte Mattina stands above the Reinswald ski area, which - though small - is horrible to see in the summertime. Most of the grass hashas been carved away and what you see are the blank slopes. In some parts of the ski run they try to re-establish the flora - but with little success.

Accommodation

Eisacktal / Valle Isarco

Bozen / Bolzano

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps

  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Sarntal/Val Sarentino
      Kompass Map WK 056
      1:35.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-340-0
    • Brixen / Bressanone
      Kompass Map WK 56
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-063-0
    • Bozen / Bolzano
      Kompass Map WK 54
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-061-4
    • BOLZANO-RENON / BOZEN-RITTEN-TSCHÖGGLBERG
      Tabacco Map 034
      1:25.000
    • MONTE SARENTINI / SARNTALER ALPEN
      Tabacco Map 040
      1:25.000


Books

  • Bozen-Salten-Schlern
    Kompass Guidebook WF953
    Kompass Verlag
    ISBN: 3-85491-406-7
  • Rund um Bozen
    Helmut Dumler
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4267-2