Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.35766°N / 105.47785°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10662 ft / 3250 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lost Platte Peak sits at the Southern terminus of the Platte River Mountains. It is by any means not a spectacular mountain. Most of the hike is within dense pine and aspen forest with very limited views and the summit rocks barely stick out of the surrounding canopy. However, if you are in the mood for a comparably modest day hike (you still gain 800 meter / 2600 ft) to get away from everything the Lost Platte Peak may be just down your alley. The aspen groves along the summit ridge would make this hike especially enjoyable in fall when the colors of the leaves are changing.

Getting There

From Denver:
 
Drive on US 285 to Bailey and turn left on CR 64 right across the Conoco Gas Station. Follow CR 64 for 2.6 miles (only the first 0.4 miles are paved) to the sign for Payne Creek-Brookside Trailhead. Turn left and you find a large parking area for trail head parking 300 ft down a bumpy side road.
 
From Fairplay:
 
Drive on US 285 to the small hamlet of Shawnee and turn right onto CR 64 right at the edge of "town". Its  a couple miles of good gravel road to the trailhead from here.
 
Trailhead parking in winter may be not available because of snow condition!

Route

Hike is straightforward. Take the combined Brookside Trail (#607) / Payne Gulch Trail (#635) from the parking area (8020ft). Both trails split after 1.1 miles in an aspen grove. Turn left on Payne Gulch Trail (#635) and hike to the saddle at 9890 ft. Leave the trail to your left and gain the gentle ridge to the South. Hike about 1 mile trailless along the ridge to summit of Lost Platte Peak. Summit can be first seen from the rock outcroppings of Point 10303 (3141 m).Return the same way you came.

Red Tape

Part of the trail is within the Lost Creek Wilderness. Please abide to all wilderness regulations

When to Climb

Lost Platte Peak can be climbed year round. Best season would be fall to early winter.

Camping / Equipment 

The saddle (9890 ft / 3015 m) would be best suited for a camp site.

Hiking boots is all you need. Snowshoes in winter.

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lost Creek WildernessMountains & Rocks