Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12040°N / 72.9363°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4006 ft / 1221 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Mt. Ellen from Mt. Abraham (8/17/05)

Mt. Abraham is one of few classic 4000's in Vermont. At 4003 feet, Mt. Abraham is famous for it's low timberline and 360 degree panorama of the Green Mountains. The views from this summit range the the towering Adirondacks which lie over Lake Champlain, the northern and southern sections of the Green Mountains, the foothills to the west and the White Mountains to the east. The mountain's amazing views, treeless top and elevation over 4000 feet make this mountain a magnet for hikers, so be prepared for crowd.

There are two trails to the summit from the south. The Long Trail which leaves Lincoln Gap is 2.6 mile trail, 1600 feet elevation gain and a mostly class 1 rating with one steep section being a class 2 scramble. The Battell Trail has more of an (2550 ft.) elevation gain and distance (2.9 miles) but retains the same ratings as the Long Trail from Lincoln Gap. The Battell runs into the Long's Trail and the last 0.9 miles to the top of Mt. Abraham is on the Long Trail.

Getting There


VIA LONGS TRAIL IN LINCOLN GAP FROM THE EAST: From Route 100 in Warren, VT in take Lincoln Gap Road. Take the road roughly 5 miles to near the height of land. The trail will be on your right with parking on both sides of the road.

VIA LONGS TRAIL IN LINCOLN GAP FROM THE WEST: From Lincoln take the Lincoln Gap Road east to just over the height of land. The trail will be on your left with parking on both sides of the road.

VIA THE BATTELL TRAIL: From Lincoln head up Quaker St. a half mile north before making a right onto Elder Road.

When To Climb


This mountain is recommended for spring, summer, and fall ascent. Lincoln Gap road is closed during the winter. If you do plan on hiking via the Long Trail from Lincoln Gap, prepare to add significant distances roundtrip. Also get prepared for the dangerous winter weather and bring snowshoes and crampons. The Green Mountains have to be buried quiet frequently with snow.

Camping


Camping is available at the Battell Shelter when there is a caretaker. However when I was at the Battell Shelter I noticed no caretaker.

Mt. Abraham is also on the famous Long Trail which stretch from the Appalachian Mountains to the Canadian Border. The trail remains as one classic backpacking treks and can usually be done in two to three weeks.



Mountain Conditions


A couple of website where you can search for mountain conditions would be Green Mountain National Forest at www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl or the Green Mountain club at Green Mountain Club .


Summit Picture Log


Enter all hero pictures here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

royswkr - Apr 15, 2006 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

cheaper off-season

You can stay at the Battell Shelter anytime, in the offseason there's no caretaker so you don't have to pay

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Green Mountains (Vermont)Mountains & Rocks
 
Vermont 4000 FootersMountains & Rocks
 
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks
 
 
Vermont County HighpointsMountains & Rocks
 
Long Trail MountainsMountains & Rocks