Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.86752°N / 121.50743°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6452 ft / 1967 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Naches Peak is a quick hitter due to its location just east of Chinook Pass. The summit provides great views of Mount Rainier and surrounding area. 

There is a fantastic, easy ~3.5 mile loop trail around Naches Peak starting at Chinook Pass or Tipsoo Lake. 

Naches Peak can also be combined with Yakima Peak for a great double.


Naches Peak and Sheep Lake
                  Naches Peak and Sheep Lake                    Chinook Pass is center right
Northwest toward Sheep Lake from Naches Peak
                                       Northwest toward Sheep Lake from Naches Peak                                             ("Chinook Peak", "Sheep Rock",  Crystal Mtn., and Threeway Peak)



Getting There


Take SR-410 to Chinook Pass located east of Mount Rainier. 

Chinook Pass closes in late fall and usually reopens by Memorial Day weekend.  

Route


Northwest Ridge:
Mtn Goat below Naches Peak
Can you spot the mountain goat below Naches Peak?
Rountrip Distance: ~1.3 miles

Elevation Gain: 1020 ft.

Travel cross-country southeast directly above PCT and Chinook Pass. 
The northwest ridge line to the summit is the most direct and easiest route.
The ridge line is Class 3 with a few Class 4 moves. Some exposure. A rope and climbing gear isn't necessary, although some may prefer this.

Other Routes:

Other options may also be available on the south and east sides including Class 4 and 5 rock climbing and would require a rope, etc.


Naches Peak Map
Naches Peak and Vicinity Map


Red Tape

Park for free at Tipsoo Lake or have a Northwest Forest Pass to park east of Chinook Pass. Double check the current parking pass requirement, there may be a time limit to beat at the east parking lot on the U.S. Forest Service side.

A wilderness permit is not required on the U.S. Forest Service side unless continuing onto Dewey Lake on the PCT past the Naches Peak loop trail junction.

Day hiking does not require a permit in Mount Rainier National Park.

When to Climb

Summer through fall. 

There is high avalanche danger in the winter in the Chinook Pass area and the highway is closed so would need to avoid much of the time.

Camping

Camping would have to be on the east side of the crest because of Mt. Rainier National Park, but also is restricted along PCT. 

Dewey Lake is an option (no camp fires with 1/4 mile). 

Sheep Lake (outside of wilderness) is also another option.

External Links

Naches Ranger District including current conditions