Perspectives From A Newbie - “Top O Texas”

Perspectives From A Newbie - “Top O Texas”

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 31.89140°N / 104.8603°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 15, 2007
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Introduction

I started working out at the gym about 8 months ago to loose weight. I’ve lost about 15 pounds and am in a lot better shape now. I found that working out in the gym was not inspiring after a while and began to lead a more active lifestyle in general. I watched the Discovery special on Everest and was amazed. I grew up in Alaska around mountains, but have never climbed any. Sounded like a good goal to work towards, so I did some research and chose to try Guadalupe Peak as my first since my wife is from West Texas and we currently live in the Lone Star State. You should see some of the looks I got when I told people I’m going to climb a mountain next week!

In preparation, I continued my cardio workout at the gym (I run a 7:45 minute treadmill mile), strength training and added the stair master to my workout. I did a couple of 8 and 10 mile hikes at our local hiking trail. I also added outdoor bike riding and did a 20 mile bike ride to build up endurance.

I am a self admitted newbie, so I learned a lot on this trip. Most of all, I learned how challenging it was and how rewarding it was when I was finished. I’m now officially hooked.

Preliminary

3:30 am – We just had a time change to spring backwards or forwards or something – it sure is early to be getting up. I think it might be a good idea to hit snooze and sleep a while longer. Oh well, up and at em. I pile into the car and head west on I20 toward Van Horn.

After fueling up and getting some water and food, I head North on highway 54 to get to Guadalupe Mountains National Park. The route is well marked, even 60 miles away. I stop to relieve myself and notice how clear the morning sky is here – I can see so many stars.

7:30 am – I arrive at Guadalupe National Park. After checking the visitor’s center and seeing it is closed until 8 am, I decide to head to the trailhead. After signing in the hiker’s log, I strap up and head up the trail at 8 am.
SunriseSunrise at Guadalupe Mountains


The Climb

I’ve never climbed anything like this before, so I just go until I get too tired to go further, then stop and rest. I’m wearing my heart rate monitor that I train in the gym with and try and stay below my anabolic threshold (145 bpm). I stop and take a few pictures, taking the opportunity to catch my breath. The first portion of the hike is a lot tougher than I anticipated. I don’t consider calling it quits, but begin to think this may be a long day!

The temperature is in the low 50’s, but I know it will heat up to 80 F today, so I dress in layers. I’m quickly out of my overpants. I suggest another essential item to hiking – a small towel to wipe away sweat!

About an hour into it, I notice the parking lot is getting quite a bit smaller, although it sucks that I can still see it at all after all of this work! I’m starting to see some incredible views on the switchbacks with the sun just rising – it’s really beautiful. I didn’t know Texas had scenery like this.

Parking LotFinal view of the parking lot
I finally loose the parking lot and begin into the conifer portion of the climb. I notice several barely visible paths off of the main trail and hike over to investigate. The views are well worth it. I take a lot of pictures here, drink more water and notice that there is a small outcropping nearby about 20 feet high or so. I begin to visualize the path up. What the heck, I drop my pack and go ahead and climb it. Pretty easy climb, and again the views are worth the effort.

Climbing RockClimbed this rock on the way up
I haven’t seen anyone on the mountain yet, but noticed an abundance of cars in the parking lot, so I’m sure there are people ahead of me.

About two hours into it, I think I’m getting pretty close. I crest the hill and notice it’s getting pretty flat. I look around and don’t see anything higher and think that maybe this is it – where’s the pyramid? I come around the corner and see the peak for the first time. After looking at the map, I see that I’m near the high country camping area. A little disappointing, but inspired at the same time. I cross the bridge and take a quick break to drink some more water and eat a Cliff bar. I didn’t wait very long afterwards and headed off. Seems like eating actually sapped energy from me rather than giving me some. Next time, I will wait longer after eating.

ViewIs this view really in Texas??
I begin the switchbacks that I see lead to the top taking many breaks. After a while, I crest a hill and see El Capitan! Now I know I’m close.

I meet two guys coming down from the summit. They tell me the view is beautiful and I’ve got about 5 more minutes.

Summit

A few more switchbacks and I see the horse hitching area. Heading left, I finally see the pyramid and have made it to the top! I didn’t feel the relief or joy I expected, but rather a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

Summit PicObligatory summit pic
I sit down, drinking more water and eating some snacks. After enjoying the view for a while, I text my wife, kids and friends “Good morning from the Top O Texas!” It’s about 10:30 am.

I sign the summit register, write an ode to my wife on the pyramid and take a few pictures. I also notice some weird sounds whenever the birds fly nearby. They are really moving, chasing insects or something. When they come within earshot, they make a strange humming noise.

Serious mountain man
El Capitan is so majestic – I can’t quit looking at it. I try and remember the path to it from SP, but can’t. Another day, my Captain!
El CapitanMajestic El Capitan

Descent

After calling my parents, I decide to head down. I see my first hiker just below the hitching area. Exchanging pleasantries, I continue down. I meet some college students next, near the campground.

I’m still monitoring my hear rate and notice that it’s pretty low going down. I begin to think that I should jog on the flat part of the switchbacks. I do it and am rewarded with my heart rate shooting back up to 140 or so. Unfortunately, jogging down a mountain is not a smart move. I stub my toe at a switchback and begin to stumble down. I catch myself and begin to balance. Just when I think I’ve got it under control, my backpack catches up to me and it feels like it pushes me in the back! I tumble down, cutting my hand, knee and elbow. Fortunately, that’s all I hurt. Lesson learned – don’t run down mountains!

After this incident, I begin to see a lot of people. I’m not sure whether to step aside and let them continue up or wait for them to step aside and let me down. I eventually figure if they are on a good pace, I step aside…if they are struggling, I let them take a break while I pass.

I met a man and his son who are on their way up - looks like they are going to make it fine. He mentions that he forgot his camera and asks if I can send him some pictures. I snap a picture of them and promise to send them to him.

I start to feel a blister on my right toe. I stop at an opportune time and bandage it up. I didn’t think to bandage the toe next to it up too and soon feel a blister on that one. I now see the need for good shoes, for the way down as much as anything. My toes are shoving into the toe section of my tennis shoes and I know they are going to hurt later.

Not much else interesting heading down, just a lot of people heading up. I guestimate around 20 – 25 people easily. I get to my car right at 1:00 pm. I drink some more water, Gatorade and have a sandwich that I bought at the store earlier.

I feel really good about the trip and am now hooked. On the drive back, I begin to plan my next trip – where should I go?
Far ViewI caught this view on my way home



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Mar 20, 2007 12:32 am - Voted 10/10

Good Story

Stay with it: your workouts and your new climbing career.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 20, 2007 2:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Story

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback and will stick with them both!

Granpa - Mar 20, 2007 6:27 am - Voted 10/10

Alaska Mt Man

Well done !! I bet you are on "Top of the World" after your accomplishment. Recommend you take a 2 iron and a few golf balls on your next trip. You'll be amazed at how far it will go from the summit.

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Mar 20, 2007 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome trip report

Guadalupe Peak is a great one to start off with.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 20, 2007 9:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome trip report

Thanks - I was shocked that Texas had mountains and views like this...especially in West Texas!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 20, 2007 9:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome trip report

We are going to Enchanted Rock next weekend with the family and are looking forward to it.

Squatchmo

Squatchmo - Mar 24, 2007 10:34 pm - Hasn't voted

I remember you!

We were the two guys coming down off of the summit. You beat us though, we only hit it from the campground - Our first mountain as well... Awesome to see pictures from the same exact time we were up there. Good report, Good luck on your next trip!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 25, 2007 2:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I remember you!

Squatchmo! Good to hear from you. I was wondering how the campground was as I didn't hike over to it and haven't seen any recon on it here. I thought that might be pretty good to stay the night there and catch the sunrise from the summit. Good luck to you as well!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 27, 2007 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Big Bend

Thanks for the info, we will definitely check the drive out!

CRiedel2

CRiedel2 - Mar 25, 2007 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report

Nice job on the trip report. Hoping to fit Guadalupe Peak into my plans in May. Glad you had a great time :)

camartinez

camartinez - Mar 25, 2007 4:24 pm - Voted 9/10

Welcome to hiking world

Very good story, it sounds familiar to me....
You are welcome to come to Monterrey, Mexico.
I think is the nearest place from your hometown that have high mountains it can be a real challenge to you while you get ready for higher challenges...
See ya!

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 27, 2007 2:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Welcome to hiking world

I get down to Mexico every now and then for work. I may have to extend my next trip and check em out!

remcycle - Mar 27, 2007 4:56 pm - Voted 8/10

Guadalupe Peak

Congratulations from Austin! I'm just starting out as well...i've done some fun technical stuff on Enchanted Rock as well as a lot of training in the gym.

I think I'll stop and hit Guadalupe Peak on the way out to Sierra Blanca this summer. It's the highest peak in New Mexico and not far from Guadalupe (you can actually see it from the summit).

Good luck on your next climb!

admiralcapn

admiralcapn - Mar 12, 2014 8:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Guadalupe Peak

I think you may be mislead about Sierra Blanca's status. While it does have the highest prominence of New Mexico, the highest peak in the state is Wheeler Peak near Taos.

lingana

lingana - Mar 27, 2007 10:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Similarity !

Congratulations on your summit !
Now, what else could be more similar -
we both staying in good ol' TX, both Petroleum Engineers, and an avid interest in mountains.....
Dude - Welcome to the addictive world !
Happy Climbing !

Later,
S.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Mar 28, 2007 1:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Similarity !

We probably work for the same company! Your trip report of Guadalupe was one of the reasons I chose to climb there first so I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Happy climbing to you as well - c'ya.

Big Shoes

Big Shoes - Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Once is all it takes.

It sounds like you might have caught the hiking bug. I see your post was back in March, have you gone on any other hikes since then? I live in Cali and go with my 12 year old son as often as possible. Local stuff mostly, we are headed for Guadalupe in April 08' to try your hike.

Alaska Mt Man

Alaska Mt Man - Jan 5, 2008 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Once is all it takes.

Absolutely! I have taken a trip to Colorado with my sisters to hike Mt Elbert and Mt Bierstadt. We have also taken a family trip up to Enchanted Rock closer to home. It is addicting ... I hope you have a great trip to Guadalupe!

Viewing: 1-18 of 18