Switchbacks and horse trail - Solo Guadalupe 2011

Switchbacks and horse trail - Solo Guadalupe 2011

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 7, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

[Updated: 05/18/2011] SummitPosters, if you like this report, kindly vote for it, thanks! Check my profile for all my state highpoint reports.

It's hard to believe that 2 weeks ago I was in Colorado fighting snowstorm on Mt. Elbert, and now I am enjoying 95 degrees weather on Guadalupe peak, highpointing is awesome.


Logistics:

Fly in El Paso on Friday night from NY, checked in local Best Western motel and on my way the second morning @ 6 am.

Huge breakfast at local McDonalds always seem to work for me, ok here we go let's get on Rt-180 and drive east. It's about 120 miles away from El Paso.


Photobucket
Pretty cool sunrise as I just started my journey, note that US patrol has vehicle check point on 180 east bound, so if you are not a US citizen (I am not), bring your passport.

Rt-180 is pretty straight with a little bit curves here and there, speed limit gets up to 75 mph.


Photobucket
180 goes east-west, and the Guadalupe range is north-south, so you will see this when you get close to the range from the west, very cool. Actually you will see the range about 80 miles away :), you can see El Captain cliff from this shot and where the whole range ended.

Photobucket
This is obviously when you drove pass the range and looking back from east, as you are driving up north.

Photobucket
I had to stop and take this awesome photo! Now, after this you will drive another 10 minutes and then you take a left to the Visitor center, don't drive too fast or you will miss the entrance.

When you are in the park, the trailhead is NOT at the visitor center but at the RV camping site, just drive further most and park at the trailhead sign.



Photobucket
This is the trailhead, don't hesitate until you see this!

Let's review my gears:

8 am start.
3 liter water (consumed 2 liters)
Carried but did not use my light jacket.
no hiking poles because I didn't want to check my bag
ligh pack
food
sunscreen.

4 hours trip including half an hour summit time.

So go light and you will go far :)


Photobucket
Looking back you can see the parking lot, rt-180, and the switchbacks...

Photobucket
Look to your right you see this...

Photobucket
Some cool deers, I saw these two deers again on my way down.

Photobucket
About 3/4 done.

Photobucket

Photobucket
El Captain Reef, when you are about 4/5 done, it's a really striking view!

Photobucket
Desert view to your west.

Photobucket
summit view to the northwest.

Photobucket
summit view of El Captain Cliff, where the whole mountain range suddenly ends.

Photobucket
standard summit view, taken by a couple from Scotland.

Photobucket
Very funny moutain log :)

Photobucket
As you would imagine, people leave all kinds of stuff in the mailbox, such as grape Jelly "To The Moutain"

The trail is very well maintained, lots of switchbacks and the fact it is a horse trail means it's never too steep. Family friendly, met about 8-9 groups, everyone is very friendly!

I suggest start early and you can easily finish this noon time, so you can visit Carlsbad Caverns NP in the afternoon, as I did. (I thought it was just ok...oh well, I'll post some pics anyway)

Photobucket
The Big Three.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Texas is awesome~

Thanks,
Alex
May.7.2011

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
maddie77777

maddie77777 - May 12, 2011 1:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Ha

I did this exact trip about one year ago. Looking at your pictures was like looking at my own. I even went to Carlsbad Caverns too. Great mountain! Congrats on your trip!

sm0421

sm0421 - May 16, 2011 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

thanks!

Thanks Maddie, I am trying to write up a report for each state highpoint I visited!

tubularbills

tubularbills - Oct 3, 2011 3:04 pm - Hasn't voted

which first?

Would you recommend doing Carlsbad first, then the HP? or the other way around (if travel wasn't an issue). Looking to do this trip this fall; and I've seen trip reports and almost everyone does Carlsbad first; but you did it second...thoughts?

sm0421

sm0421 - Oct 3, 2011 4:07 pm - Hasn't voted

depends

Hi Tubularbills, it depends on where you drive from. Guadalupe is 30 miles to the west of Carlsbad, so if you are driving from El Paso, hike the mountain first, and vice versa.

Could you please vote for my trip report?

Viewing: 1-4 of 4