Salenques-Tempestades Ridge

Salenques-Tempestades Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.62449°N / 0.66591°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: D+
Additional Information Grade: IV
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Salenques-Tempestades ridge is probably the most famous ridge in Pyrenees. This climbing is the most classical difficult climb to Aneto, the king of the Pyrennes with 3404 meters.All spanish climbers wish to climb it in life.
The ridge is not a lot difficult, but it is very long and it is an isolate climb. Also there are sections on quality rock is not good at all.
A lot recomendably but only for experimented climbers!!





Getting There

From Benasque city we should continue the valley on road and go finally to the hotel Hospital de Benasque. We should continue the small road about three kilometers until the end of it in the place called Besurta, place where starts Aneto's normal route(1900 m). This is the place where starts the approach to this route too.
In summer the road betwen Hospital and Besurta is not open to vehicles. Is obligatory to do this section on foot (45')or is possible to get on a bus several times on a day.



Route Description

Salenques-Tempestades ridge
1 Ascens:
Salenques ridge: Jean Arlaud y Ch. Laffont (1922).Tempestades ridge: J. Ussel, G. Castgané, y J. Haurillón (1912). Integral Salenques-Tempestades: R. Ollivier i H. Wild (1934).

Dificulty:
D+ (pitches IV and IV+/V-). The normal route search always the easiest path on ridge. If you would climb all the summits the difficult is a lot bigger.
1000 m approach to the ridge
2’5 km ridge

Time required:1-2 days
3-4 h approach
6-10 h ridge
2-4 h descent


Approach:

From Besurta we must continue the valley and the path arrives to Hole of Aiguallut, a beautiful natural phenomenon. We continue the valley and we must cross the river (difficult several times).In front of us we can see two secondary valleys. We must ascent for right valley, just under Aneto summit. At the top of this valley, called Barrancs valley, we arrive to a mountain pass (Salenques pass). This is the point where the ridge, our route, starts, just on the right (2800-2900 m).


Ridge:

The fist section of the ridge, Salenques ridge, is the most difficult section with 4 pitches about IV, IV+/V-. There are some easy zones too, but aerials. Very beautiful section, that finalises in Margalida summit 3240 m.
The second section, Tempestades ridge, is easiest than Salenques ridge, but is most dangerous. There are only 2 pitches IV, but is long and the rock quality is bad in general. In this section we climbed Tempestades summit 3290 m, and Espalda de Aneto 3350 m. The ridge finalises on the top of the Pyrennes, Aneto with 3404 m. Sleep there is an incredible ocasion!!

Descent:

The descent is by Aneto's normal route. In that route we will cross Aneto's glacier, the biggest glacier of the Pyrennes, and finally arrives again to Besurta, after pass near Renclusa hut.

Essential Gear

Helmet, 2 ropes 8-9 mm, some friends, ring tapes, axe and crampons (all seasons), and vivac material recommended (I recommend one night in Hotel Aneto 3404 meters situated on the top of the Pyrenees).

The climb is easy to protect and there are pegs on the key passages so don’t carry too much gear. Climbing boots are no necessary because the most difficult passages are short and never more difficult than IVsup-V. Due to the length of the climb hiking boots are much more comfortable.

External Links

In spanish language:

http://www.madteam.net/rutas/escaladaencresta/0.360.CrestaSalenques-TempestadesalAnetoDIV%2B

http://www.caranorte.com/resenas/directorio/europa/espana/aragon/salenques/salenques-tempestades.php

http://www.todovertical.com/home.php?opt=res&Resena=13

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AnetoRoutes