Akioud n'bou Imhraz

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.05354°N / 7.95236°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13221 ft / 4030 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Akioud is one of the highest mountain in North Africa. It's in the 'massif du Toubkal'. From the top, you have a beautiful view on the mountain 'Sirwa' in the far south and also on the valley of Agoundis. In the west direction you can see the top of the Tazaghart, very pretty 'plateau'. In the north, beautiful view on the 'Amrharas n igliouia' coomb ( top place for snow-board ), the ait mizane valey and the Oukameiden ski station. In winter they are few people which climb it, also few people in the 'massif du Toubkal' generaly speaking. The easiest route is little difficult ( peu difficile which correspond to a R3 route).

 

 

Getting There

Starting from Imlil at 1700 meters, climb to the Toubkal refuge at 3200 meters ( count 5 hours). From there, take the south direction following 'assif ait mizane' ( ait mizane river) and the coomb that it follows, with cramps or walk-ski. When you reach the first horizontal platform ( about 30 mn after the refuge), take on the right the full of snow small canyon. Going out of it, you see in front of you the Amrharas-n-igliouia coomb : . from left to right -> the mountain tadaft -> the amguird pass at 3900 meters -> the Akioud 4030 meters -> the pass of Tizi Afella at 3965 meters -> the east face of the mountain Afella-n-ouanakrim at 4015 meters Follow the branch of snow which is in the center, until the north foot of the Akioud. From there, let the ski and climb until the top which is very near ( about some meters). From the refuge to the top, count 3 hours max. To go back to the refuge, you can ski down the Amrharas-n-igliouia ( about 1h30) or climb the Amguird pass to the coomb Irhzer bou imrhas which is directly at the left after the pass, and ski down following the SE direction until the valey of ait mizane and the refuge

 

 

Red Tape

No permits or fees required. No seasonal closures.

When To Climb

You can climb it during all the year. In summer, it's a high mountain trekking, and you need only good shoes and a good physical condition. In winter, it's alpinism and you need cramps, ski, eventualy rope if the conditions are bad ( ice, very frozen snow).

 

 

Camping

You can camp on the area near the refuge in summer, also in winter but it's hard conditions ( it can be -10 until -20 degree sometimes and if wind). You can sleep in the refuge of Toubkal ( fees : 150 dirham per night, 50 dirhams for a diner), hot water is available for a shower which is exceptional at this altitude. Another possibility is to go and sleep in the Tazaghart hut which is less expensive than the Toubkal one. In this case you need more time to reach the Akioud ( count about 9 hours).

 

 

Mountain Conditions

web site for conditions info doesn't exist but you can contact me at any time to know the conditions on the 'massif du Toubkal' : . Rabbani salim : 00212.661.04.54.86 gsm phone . maskova@wanamail.ma General conditions ( not inhalf precise ) can be catch by : chaket du caf a l'oukameiden : 00212.544.31.90.36 (ask for Rachid).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
salimr

salimr - Oct 5, 2005 4:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks for the adding.

salim

igneouscarl

igneouscarl - Sep 18, 2005 6:27 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Climbing Akioud in the summer is an excellent use of a day when based at the Toubkal refuge. The gorge is narrow and it is neccesary to switch sides when climbing, making good use of stepping stones across the stream that has mnay small cascading waterfalls to take your mind off the high density of thistles. You are led out into a basin penned in by cliffs and without a clear path the only way is up. Before the final stretch to the 3900m pass (where the scree has become very fine) it is possible to skirt left below a rock outcrop and follow the scree field up into a small gully that will bring you onto the ridge below the last climb to the peak. From the pass though I descended down until I could scramble round the bass of the cliff and up a steep scree field to the ridge. From here the way is marked by cairns.

salimr

salimr - Oct 5, 2005 4:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks for the adding.

salim

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Central High AtlasMountains & Rocks