Tamalaroute

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.15492°N / 7.90389°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8937 ft / 2724 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tamalaroute is a nice mountain east of Imil, the starting point for Jbel Toubkal in the Haute Atlas.  Google Maps labels this summit as Aourirt n'Quassif, another possible name.

The mountain is an enjoyable hike/scramble and has fine views of the other higher peaks in the Haute Atlas, especially the Jbel Toubkal and Oukaimeden areas. 

The mountain is easy to climb and access.  A lot of tourist seem to visit Tizi n'Tamarert, which is the pass southeast of the summit, but not nearly as many bother to hike/climb towards the summit.  The summit is still climbed fairly frequently though.

This can be a good warm up hike for Toubkal, a wind down hike afterwards, or is even a worthy destination on its own, especially for those that don't have time to climb Toubkal.

View from near the summit of Tamalaroute
View from near the summit of Tamalaroute

Getting There

The first destination is Imil.  Perhaps the easiest and most convenient way to get to Imil is to take a Grand Taxi from Marrakech. Grand Taxis leave Marrakech from the Jemaa el-Fnaa bus stop.  The trip takes approximately an hour and a half, perhaps a little less.

Tizi n'Tamatert
Tizi n'Tamatert

 

Routes Overview

The standard route would be to walk or take a high clearence vehicle from Imil to Tizi N'Tamatert, which is a mountain pass located east of Imil.  From Imil, there is a both a trail and a road.  I walked the trail.

From the pass, a trail heads north towards the mountain.  There is both an east summit and a west summit.  The west summit is higher and requires a little scrambling to reach.

From Imil, it's a nice 1/2 day trip.   There is usually some food, drinks, and refreshments available at Tizi n'Tamatert.

Looking north over the desert
Looking north over the desert
Jbel Toubkal from Tamalaroute
Jbel Toubkal from Tamalaroute

Red Tape

None that I know of.

When to Climb

Summer can be a pretty hot, though an early morning hike would still be pleasant.  The altitude assures that it never gets extremely hot here, but the rest of the country can be!   Snow can and does fall in winter, but it's usually a pleasant time of year to go.  It can be wet in winter as well.

Looking west towards Tizi h'Mzik
Looking west towards Tizi h'Mzik

Lodging and Camping

There is plenty of lodging and some camping areas in Imil.  

See the link below:

Accomodation in Imil

Mountain Conditions

Imil Weather Forecast

Expect temperatures on the mountain to be around 5C or 10F cooler than in Imil.

Climate for Imil:

Month High (° F ) High (° C) Low (° F ) Low (° C) in. Rain mm Rain
 Jan 53 12 26 -3 2.44 62
 Feb 55 13 29 -2 2.80 71
 Mar 60 16 33 1 2.91 74
 Apr 66 19 37 3 2.83 72
 May 72 22 42 6 1.54 39
 Jun 80 27 48 9 0.63 16
 Jul 88 31 53 12 0.16 4
 Aug 87 31 55 13 0.20 5
 Sep 80 27 50 10 0.83 21
 Oct 69 20 43 6 1.85 47
 Nov 59 15 35 2 2.72 69
 Dec 53 11 29 -2 2.80 71






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Central High AtlasMountains & Rocks