Mount Verstovia (Arrowhead Peak)

Mount Verstovia (Arrowhead Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 57.05930°N / 135.265°W
Additional Information County: Sitka (borough)
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 3390 ft / 1033 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a 4-6 hour hike which is located close to the city of Sitka whether you are visiting as I did on a cruise for a day or spending time in Sitka. There is a good trail leading up to Picnic Rock (2,550’) and a much less traveled trace heading over to the summit of Mount Verstovia (aka Arrowhead Peak) Since you drop about 250’ to the saddle between the peaks, the overall elevation gain on this 7 mile RT hike is about 3,900’

Getting There

trailheadTrailhead
To find the trailhead, take Sawmill Creek Blvd east out of town a couple of miles. A few hundred feet after you pass Chirikov Drive look for a trailhead sign on the north (left) side of the Sawmill Creek Blvd. Hike up the Mount Verstovia trail about 2 miles gaining 2,550’ to Picnic Rock Peak.
Picnic RockPicnic Rock
From this point continue hiking NE along a ridge dropping about 250’ to reach and cross a saddle heading toward the true summit.
Sitka from Picnic RockView of Sitka from Picnic Rock
The summit is about another mile and about 1,090’ higher than the saddle. As you approach the summit block, you encounter the base of some cliffs which need to be circled to your right in a counter clockwise direction.
Summit blockSummit Block
When you get to the ESE side of the mountain there is a more moderate steep gully that can be scrambled up to reach the summit. Pay close attention to your final climb to avoid getting lost on the return. It would be very easy to do if you are climbing on a cloudy day where visibility is limited.
View of Sitka from ArrowheadView of Sitka from summit

Red Tape

There is no red tape involved to climb this mountain

External Links

Mount Verstovia Trail
Hiking the Alaska Adventurer Cruise