Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 58.25250°N / 134.2547°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3620 ft / 1103 m
Sign the Climber's Log

 

Overview

West Peak is a off trail hike to the South of Thane. Its best done in the spring when the brush and alders are not in full bloom. Typically this hike is done in conjuncture with Middle Peak (conveniently just to the East via an easy ridge). The summit gives you great views down Gastineau Channel and the South end of Douglass. There also is no 'official' trail, so route finding may be necessary. 

Looking down Gasineau Channel
Looking down Gasineau Channel

 

Getting There

From Downtown Juneau, take Egan Drive South which becomes Thane Road for 5.7 miles. The road will dead end at the Point Bishop-Dupont Trailhead. The other route leaves from a parking area on the west side of Thane Road 4.1 miles south of Downtown Juneau where Sheep Creek crosses the road. 

Route

There are two basic routes up West Peak. One leaves from the waterfall where Sheep Creek crosses the road called the Sheep Creek Route, and the other is a short, steep, offtrail bushwhack that leaves from the trail to DuPont Dock and Bishop Point and heads up Little Creek called the Little Creek Route. I highly recomend the Sheep Creek Route as it is a wonderful hike and the trail is easy to follow. 

See the route page for more details and for the map  and Garmin .gpx files.

Middle/West Route
Middle/West Route

Red Tape

There is no red tape here, so please use LNT principles.

Amazing views of Douglas Island and Gastineau Channel from just below the summit
Amazing views of Douglas Island and Gastineau Channel from just below the summit

When to Climb

Mid-June through mid-September is the normal hiking season. With easy access, winter ascents would be reasonable as well, though there will be avalanche danger on the highest slopes.

May/June is when I'd recommend to climb and can be a really nice time to climb since it’s the sunniest summer month, though there tends to be more snow around. There will be less brush earlier in the year too.  July is excellent too while August and September are wetter and cloudier. Fall and winter tend to be quite wet and the brush and alder will be really thick.  

Winters are much milder here than in interior Alaska.

Fall Colors
Fall Colors

Camping

Backcountry Camping

Permits are not needed to camp in the Tongass National Forest.

External Links

Tongass National Forest

 

 



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.