Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 59.44699°N / 135.24445°W
Additional Information County: Skagway (borough)
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 5400 ft / 1646 m
Sign the Climber's Log


Overview

Route to No NameNo Name Route photo
No Name Peak can be seen from the port of Skagway and is accessible via the Dewey Lake trails. It can be climbed in about 6-7 hours from the trailhead and involves some serious scrambling along the broken ridge of jumbled bolders. I climbed to about 200’ below the summit before backing off due to approaching thick clouds which threatened to obscure my escape route. The rock was very slippery for some reason although it was quite coarse. I suspect it was due to being somewhat wet and the lichens that coat nearly everything in this damp region. The trail is about 6 miles roundtrip and gains about 3,100’ to Upper Dewey Lake. The views of Upper Dewey Lake and the town of Skagway are magnificent from this viewpoint.

Getting There

Upper Dewey LakeUpper Dewey Lake from ridge
The trailhead is by the railroad and can be reached by following 2nd Avenue E Past the train depot and heading 120 meters north along the tracks before crossing over to begin the hike. Follow the signs to Lower Dewey Lake and continue to Upper Dewey Lake. At the lake you will see a nice cabin which can be rented in Skagway. From the cabin you can see No Name Peak to the ENE. Pass the front of the cabin and start around the left side of the lake on a path until you are ready to do some light bushwhack a couple of hundred feet higher to the steep hillside. As indicated in my route photo, follow a steep gully all the way to a ridge that leads to the summit. Upon gaining the ridge, the climbing becomes very challenging with slippery jagged blocks coated with lichens and moss.
Skagway from upper ridgeSkagway from upper ridge
I generally found that climbing the left side provided better access to reaching higher sections when running into small cliffs along the way. The topo map indicates that the summit is about 5,400’ and my efforts ended at 5,300’ as thick clouds began to approach raising serious fears of getting lost while trying to find my route back.

Camping

A cabin is available for rental as well as an older cabin free on a first come basis by Upper Dewey Lake

External Links

Trail to Upper Dewey Lake

Hiking the Alaska Adventurer Cruise

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.