Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 58.76277°N / 134.87248°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5505 ft / 1678 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Berners Peak is a rarely visited off trail mountain. Accessing the mountain requires a boat (kayak or motorized), route finding,  and the summit has 3rd class scramble. From the summit (if you climb on a clear day) you can easily see onto the Gilky Glacier, look down on Antler Lake, and to the Fairweather Range. Depending on the time of year, bears activity can be a concern on the approach. If you're looking for something different, zero people, a boat ride, and a LONG day climb, this mountain is for you.  

Summit crew, looking SW
Summit crew, looking SW

Getting There

To access the route to Berners Peak from downtown Juneau, Drive out Glacier Hwy to Echo Cove boat launch. From there boat or kayak 6 miles North to the cove past Sawmill Creek. 

Summit shot looking North
Summit shot looking North

Route

The Berners Peak Standard Route starts by walking up the beach and plunging into thick woods 6 miles north of Echo Cove boat launch. From here continue generally East favoring a bit Northward until you hit a creek. Head uphill following the creek generally East. Eventually treeline is broken and the route steepens into a scramble up a valley to the pass at 4300' and continues North along the backside of the ridge. Turn to the the West and climb to the top of the ridge after some time on the Antler Lake side. Once on the ridge, generally follow it to the summit. Some 3rd class rock encountered, but nothing to serious.   

See the route page for more details and for the map and Garmin .gpx files.

Route Overview
Route Overview

Red Tape

There is no red tape here, so please use LNT principles.

When to Climb

June is probably the best time to climb since it’s the sunniest summer month, though there tends to be more snow around. I personally prefer late summer when the most rock is exposed, but the approach will be very bushy. Early Spring ascents would be reasonable as well, though there will be avalanche danger on the highest slopes. 

Nearing the pass, Looking West
Nearing the pass, Looking West

Camping

Backcountry Camping

Permits are not needed to camp in the Tongass National Forest. Camping spots can probably be found in the basin near treeline in the summer months.

External Links

Tongass National Forest

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm - Hasn't voted

ath class scramble?

I noticed a typo in the first paragraph: "Accessing the mountain requires a boat (kayak or motorized), route finding, and the summit has ath class scramble." Is it 4th class?

adventurestreet

adventurestreet - Feb 14, 2019 10:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: ath class scramble?

Fixed. Thanks!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.