Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.14440°N / 109.6486°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12205 ft / 3720 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Buttress is a spectacular piece of granite located in the scenic Titcomb Basin of the Wind River Range. Though a minor summit surrounded by much higher peaks, the dramatic east face of The Buttress has earned the peak a name. The east face rises roughly 1000 nearly vertical feet from the floor of the Titcomb Basin.

The Northwest Ridge is mostly a class 2 scramble with a few class 3 sections. The chimney on the Northeast Ridge is rated 5.2.

The Wind River Range is as wild and rugged as anything you may have imagined about it. In particular, the Titcomb Basin is an incredibly scenic area that is surrounded by granite peaks and spires. There are climbing opportunities that span all levels of difficulty.


Getting There

The Buttress is located in one of the most remote areas of the contiguous United States, in the northern Wind River Range in Wyoming. It is most easily accessible via the Elkhart Park trailhead. It is approximately 17 miles one-way from the trailhead to The Buttress.

Located about 1 mile south and high above the upper end of Fremont Lake, this trailhead offers two large parking areas, corrals, potable water, toilet facilities and a visitor information center. The trailhead is adjacent to the Trails End Campground.

To reach the trailhead from Pinedale, WY, drive to the east side of town on Hwy 191and follow the signs to the Elkhart Ranger Station. Turn northeast onto the Fremont Lake road, passing the Pinedale Ranger District Office. Continue straight on the main road, avoid turning on to the Fremont Lake campground road, passing the National Forest boundary in about 4 miles. The road passes Halfmoon Lake and White Pine Ski Area before arriving at the trailhead, 16 miles from Pinedale. There are signs along the way.


Red Tape

Permits are not required for backcountry travel or for overnight stays in the Wind River Range (except if crossing Indian land).

When To Climb

The typical climbing season is from June through September. Special winter mountaineering gear and skills are required for off-season climbing.

Camping

There are several primitive campsites on the north end of the upper Titcomb Lake.

In addition, there is a public (fee) campgound at the Elkhart trailhead.

Note that campfires are not permitted at the lake since it is above treeline.

Mountain Conditions

For current conditions, contact the Pinedale Ranger Station at 307-367-4326.

Click for Pinedale, Wyoming Forecast

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.