Signal Mountain & South Signal Mountain

Signal Mountain & South Signal Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52600°N / 105.511°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11262 ft / 3433 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Signal Mountain and South Signal Mountain are two small mountains that just manage to push their peaks above timberline. They reside on the very northeast corner of the Mummy Range. Signal Mountain is fourteen feet higher than South Signal Mountain but South Signal Mountain is more interesting with a small summit block that requires a bit of scrambling to reach the top. Both mountains make good winter destinations due to easy trailhead access and zero avalanche danger. There are well-maintained trails that go almost to the summits of both mountains.

Getting There

The two most logical trailheads to start from are North Inlet Trailhead and Signal Mountain Trailhead:

North Inlet Trailhead: From the town of Glen Haven head east (downhill) 2.1 miles to Dunraven Glade Road. Turn north onto the road and go 2.2 miles to the well-marked trailhead. It is roughly 6 miles and 3400 feet of elevation gain from the trailhead to the summit of Signal Mountain.

Signal Mountain Trailhead: From Fort Collins take Highway 14 west 35 miles and turn south onto Pingree Park Road. Follow Pingree Park Road for approximately 14 miles. The trailhead is on the left side of the road approximately 1.5 miles past the intersection of Buckhorn and Pingree Park Roads (there is very little parking). It is roughly 6.4 miles and 2600 feet of elevation gain from the trailhead to the summit of Signal Mountain.

Red Tape


No permits or fees are required if starting from any of the logical trailheads. Camping in RMNP is allowed only in designated campsites and requires a permit.

When To Climb / Mountain Conditions

Signal Mountain and South Signal Mountain can be climbed all year round. For current conditions contact the Canyon Lake Ranger District.

 

Camping

Camping in Rocky Mountain National Park is allowed in designated campsites and requires a permit. Camping in Roosevelt National Forest is allowed anywhere (except where otherwise specified). Please be considerate of private property near trailheads and observe leave-no-trace ethics when in Comanche Peak Wilderness.

 

Contact Forest Service Canyon Lakes Ranger District

The summits of South Signal Mountain and Signal Mountain reside in Comanche Peak Wilderness. Comanche Peak Wilderness and the surrounding Roosevelt National Forest are administrated by the Canyon Lakes Ranger District. Contact them for further information.

Address: 1311 South College, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524
Phone: (970) 498-2770
TTY: (970) 498-2727
Fax: (970) 498-2769

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.