Mount Jumbo (A.K.A. Mount Bradley)

Mount Jumbo (A.K.A. Mount Bradley)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 58.24982°N / 134.41237°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3337 ft / 1017 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Jumbo
Mount Jumbo

Mount Jumbo (officially known as Mount Bradley) rises dramatically above the town of Douglas, just across Gastineau Channel from downtown Juneau, Alaska. Mount Jumbo is part of the Tongass National Forest, the largest in the nation, which covers most of Southeast Alaska. The trailhead begins just above sea level near downtown Douglas and rises steeply to the summit at 3,337 feet. The trail is well defined but very steep and technical in places.

Getting There

Mount Jumbo Trailhead
Trailhead

From downtown Juneau, take the Douglas Bridge across Gastineau Channel to downtown Douglas. In Douglas, go right on E Street, then left on Fifth Street to the trailhead, in the 300 block.

When to Climb

Rainforest
Rainforest

Mount Jumbo can be climbed year-round. Skiing is popular on Mount Jumbo but be aware of avalanche conditions. Snow can be found on Mount Jumbo well into July. The Juneau area is extremely wet, so bring your raingear.

Camping

Mount Jumbo Summit
Camping near the summit

Permits are not required to climb or camp on Mount Jumbo.

Flat tent spots are difficult to come by on Mount Jumbo. Do not expect to find adequate camping areas until you reach treeline, where a few level spots can be found. Once above treeline, camping is not possible until you reach the summit where some level ground can be found.

Tongass National Forest

Tongass National Forest

Juneau Area Weather Forcast

Juneau Area Weather



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.