Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.26533°N / 109.69213°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12825 ft / 3909 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Yukon Peak is a high 12er on the continental divide in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. It lies one peak to the south of Point 13,062 which is the parent peak to Yukon. Having 525 feet of prominence it stands out despite being a 12er. The Connie glacier flanks the north side of this peak. At the base of this mighty glacier sit the neon green Upper Kevin Lakes.


Upper Kevin LakesUpper Kevin Lakes from the divide near the Yukon Peak



It would be impractical to make the trek to this area just to climb this peak. Probably everyone who summits this mountain does so on a long multi-day trek. The continental divide "trail" follows the divide perfectly here since the area is so gentle. Further south towards Gannett and company, the Wind Rivers are very rugged and backpackers trekking across the divide must descend Tourist Creek and detour around these peaks.

Getting There

There are many ways to get to Point 13,062. If you are doing your trek in the northern part of the Wind River Range it makes sense to start at Green River Lakes. From Pinedale, Wyoming head west out of town on US 191 for 6 miles and turn right (north) onto Wyoming road 352W. The pavement ends soon after the small town of Cora. Continue for 25 miles from US 191 and continue 18 more miles on the Green River Lakes Road until the road ends at the Green River Lakes campground. This road is passable for any vehicle although it gets very wash-boarded.

Green River LakesSquare Top seen from the Green River Lakes trailhead



Getting to the continental divide from the Green River Lakes trailhead will offer you days of adventure and a vast choice of routes. You can choose to use the Roaring Fork trail as described in this Trip Report, or you can choose to head south for 14 miles following the Green River to Three Forks Park and ascend the steep Tourist Creek drainage to the divide.

Once on the divide, it's easy terrain to the summit of Yukon Peak which lies just south of Point 13,062 and just north of Klondike Peak.

Heart of the Wind RiversSummit panorama from Yukon Peak looking north

 

Red Tape

None! This area is very remote so be sure you have good maps and the ability to read them. Please Leave No Trace.

External Links

See Joe Kelsey's "Climbing in the Wind River Mountains" for some good route descriptions