Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.04483°N / 115.47223°W
Additional Information County: clark
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6308 ft / 1923 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

path to canyonpath toward canyon
This is an interesting climb that can be accessed via Black Velvet canyon. There is a rough road that suggests high clearance being desirable which winds about 3 miles from highway 160 where there is a paved parking area for mountain bike enthusiasts. From this trailhead, the climb is estimated to be about 5 miles roundtrip and should take about 5 hours at a moderate, but steady pace. Elevation gained is estimated to be ~2,400’.
summit view toward trailheadsummit view toward trailhead

Getting There

From the junction of state highways 159 and 160 just south of the town of Blue Diamond, head west toward Parumph, NV for approximately 4.75 miles and turn off to the right into the paved mountain bike parking area which has restroom facilities.
route from hwy to trailheadroad from hwy 160 to trailhead
Continue past the parking area heading northeast on the pavement which soon ends and continues as a dirt road across the desert. This dirt track runs for about 3 miles to the trailhead for hikes into Black Velvet canyon and there is limited room for parking

Red Tape

While this peak is located in Red Rock National Conservation area, there are no requirements for an entrance permit in this remote portion.
See Red Rock NCA Home Page

Camping

There is a campground located south of SR159 two miles east of the entrance to RRCNCA. There is no developed campground within Red Rock NCA, although backcountry camping with a permit is allowed.

Route description

route to summitroute overview
From the trailhead parking area, start hiking up the road leading toward the mouth of Black Velvet canyon and look for a hikers path that soon cuts off to the right in the direction of the canyon. Continue along this path staying on the left (south) side of the canyon initially.
looking up canyonview up canyon
There is a brief section of class 4 climbing to get above the initial dryfalls and then you basically follow the floor of the canyon bouldering up past the famous climbing walls of Prince of Darkness, Dream of Wild Turkeys, and Epinephrine.
Black Velvet climbing wallsblack velvet climbing walls
swimming holetry not to swim
As you approach the upper regions of the canyon, you will notice a branch ascending toward the left and near this area there is a large bowl on your right which you will be ascending to head for Hidden Peak. There are numerous cairns marking the route placed by Branch Whitney and other hiking enthusiasts so search for them before striking out blindly.
route overview out of canyonroute up from canyon


As the Google earth route photo indicates, the route out of the canyon initially heads NE toward the base of some cliffs before turning NW ascending a steep gully leading up toward a saddle before once again turning NE up the final several hundred feet to the summit.
Start of hikeView from trailhead

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
T. White

T. White - May 26, 2020 6:17 pm - Voted 9/10

Also accessible from the Mountain Springs and Little Zion trailheads

Roughly 1,000 fewer feet elevation gain from Mountain Springs, and manageable stretches of Class 3 near the end. Not sure about the route from Little Zion before it intersects with the Mountain Springs Peak trail, but it must not be too tough since a number of people did it on the day I summitted.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1