Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.13926°N / 115.49875°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6165 ft / 1879 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bridge Mountain view
Bridge Mountain from summit
This small peak is on a ridge running above the south side of Icebox Canyon and offers nice views of North Peak and Bridge Mountain. It was discovered circa 2002 by Brandon and Davis. The scramble gains about 1,860’ from the trailhead and after about a mile hike across the desert into Icebox Canyon you take a steep crack system to gain a hanging valley which leads to the summit. The roundtrip distance is a bit over 4 miles.  There are two low class 5 moves in the initial crack system where you may want to use a rope to assist climbers who don’t have the technical skill or upper body strength to complete. The initial climb out of (and back into) the canyon is fairly exposed, but offers adequate hand and foot holds to allow safe, but careful, passage.
View toward Vegas
Vegas from the summit

Getting There

From Charleston Blvd and the 215 Beltway in the western part of Las Vegas, take Charleston Blvd. (Highway 159) west for about 5 miles until you reach the entrance to Red Rock Canyon NCA. Once inside the park, follow the 13 mile loop road for about 7 1/2 miles to the Icebox Canyon trailhead parking. You should allow about 30 minutes driving time from the strip to the entrance station at Red Rock.

Red Tape

National Park entrance fees apply in Red Rock National Conservation area. Hours of operations vary by season. See Red Rock NCA Home Page

Route Description

Hike on the trail leading into Icebox Canyon for about 1 1/2 miles until you are inside the canyon. Go a short distance further up canyon until you reach a huge boulder that forces the trail around on its right side and next to the canyon wall.
Boulder where you climb out of canyon
Boulder marking climb
Look left up the canyon wall and you will see a crack system leading up that can be climbed.
Initial climb from canyon  
Climbout point(Photo by Moapapeak)
Initial climbout(photo by MoapaPk)

Initial climbout point
After gaining perhaps 100’ you will come to a nice ledge that can be traveled to your left into the main crack
Starting up the crack
start of crack system
that will take you at a steep angle up and past the two difficult bouldering moves higher up.
first difficult move
first difficult move
After passing the second of these obstacles, which are huge chockstones, climb a few feet further 
2nd difficult move (photo by Candace)
2nd difficult move (photo by Candace W)
and look to your right to leave the crack and climb up some steep sandstone that quickly takes you to the base of the hanging valley.
hanging valley
hanging valley


From this point your goal is to reach the upper right hand side of the valley beneath some smooth cliffs. There are cairns marking a route which basically heads up the left side initially and then traverses beneath cliffs over toward your goal on the right side. When you get to the right side beneath the cliffs, you will see a way to climb part way up the falls and then traverse back ascending on ledges toward the left followed by switch backs back and forth as you gradually climb above the falls.

From the top of the falls follow the gully staying close to the center and left portions to avoid brush and climb to near the top of the ridge. From there the route heads right once again and before long you will reach the summit. Plan on taking about 2 hours or so to reach the summit and the return is also about 2 hours.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.