Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.25108°N / 91.83193°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1250 ft / 381 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Huber Ridge is one of the highest and most prominent summits along the Mississippi River on the Wisconsin side of the border. According to Lists of John, Huber Ridge stands at 1,250 feet, with 400 feet of prominence. The only other Wisconsin summit along the Mississippi with greater prominence is Eagle Bluff, at Perrot State Park, 25 miles down the river. Huber Ridge does not boast a spectacular rock face like Maiden Rock, 30 miles to the north, and there are no spectacular summit views available to the public, due to private property at all locations with a view. So, what are the benefits for this hike?

Huber Ridge Hiking Road
Huber Ridge Hiking Road

The attraction of this hike would be for anyone who wants to hike to the top of one of Wisconsin’s top twenty most prominent summits. An added benefit is a good workout with 500 feet of elevation gain the first mile through a beautiful forest – especially colorful in autumn. Further, there are some side benefits that might give some hikers reason to visit this whole area as well.

Trailside Wildflowers
Trailside Wildflowers

Highway 35 is known as the Great River Road, and is one of the most scenic drives in this part of the nation. This is especially true in the autumn. And there are numerous scenic options on the side roads along Highway 35, with interesting old historic ruins. In the little village of Alma, Wisconsin, just minutes north of Huber Ridge, is the Castle Rock Museum, where visitors are treated to quite an array of authentic medieval armor – an amazing collection to be found in a small village in America. Unique restaurants and shops abound along the Great River Road.

Huber Ridge Rock
Huber Ridge Rock

Getting There

Huber Ridge is located just to the northeast of the town of Cochrane, Wisconsin and east of Buffalo, Wisconsin, on the east side of Highway 35, “The Great River Road”. It is accessible by way of Seifert Hill Lane, which is just over .1-mile north of the Highway 35 junction with North Main Street. There is not much room to park at the junction, but then there are not normally many hikers either. Please don’t park in someone’s yard, though.

Autumn Color Near Huber Ridge
Autumn Color Near Huber Ridge

Route Information

Seifert Hill Road is the only public route a person can hike up. It covers about 1.25 miles from Highway 35 to the summit, in which a person will gain over 500 feet in altitude. Most of the road is winding and graded nicely, and levels out about a mile up. At the junction with Rattlesnake Lane, turn left and hike about .2-mile north until you come to another junction with Seifert Hill Road branching east and west. It’s fairly level in that whole area, which the maps show as the highpoint on the ridge. If precise coordinates are essential to you, please bring your GPS. The Cream Quad USGS will be the map you would want for Huber Ridge.

Huber Ridge Map
Huber Ridge Map

Red Tape

Seifert Hill Lane runs through private property. Please stay on road and respect private property. The road is usually open, except for weather-related closures or occasional road maintenance. There is no camping right on Huber Ridge, so please check out the area camping links below.

Mississippi River View from The Great River Road
Mississippi River View from The Great River Road

When to Climb

Weather will likely be a factor in planning your visit. For the latest forecast and conditions, you can click on this link:

Huber Ridge Weather Froecast & Conditions

Huber Ridge Summit Area
Huber Ridge Summit Area

Hunting season considerations might also be a factor in your planning. For up-to-date Wisconsin hunting information, click on this link:

Wisconsin Hunting Season Information

Huber Ridge West side
Huber Ridge West side

Camping & Lodging Near Huber Ridge

Even thought there is no camping right on Huber Ridge, there are campgrounds not far away. Perrot State Park, 30 minutes south of Huber Ridge on The Great River Road, has some excellent camping facilities, along with some great hiking opportunities. You can learn more at their site: Perrot State Park Camping

 

Another Old Ruin Near Huber Ridge
Another Old Ruin Near Huber Ridge
Abandoned Old House Near Huber Ridge
Abandoned Old House Near Huber Ridge

Two other area campgrounds offer additional opportunities, and more information is available at these links:

Camp Sleepy Hollow

 

Great River Harbor Campground

 

Nearby Town of Alma, Wisconsin
Nearby Town of Alma, Wisconsin

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.