Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.01650°N / 91.4502°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Trempealeau
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1150 ft / 351 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

While Chicken Breast Bluff is not a real summit with only 120 feet of prominence and lower than nearby Heald's and Eagle Bluff's, it offers one of the best views in the park with the lack of vegetation at the summit.  There is even remnants of a USGS benchmark at the summit with the pipe remaining but not the benchmark.  No trails lead to the summit of Chicken Breast Bluff which makes it my favorite summit in the park and one of the least visited summits in the park.  As for the name it has been around a while and likely named by someone who was apparently hungry at the time.

Getting There

From the north or northwest, go south from Eau Claire on State Highway 93 about 53 miles. At Centerville, where Highway 93 turns east, go south on State Highway 35 (the Great River Road). Take Highway 35 about five miles to Trempealeau. In Trempealeau, Highway 35 becomes Main Street. Take Main Street south to First Street and turn right (west). In the park, First Street becomes South Park Road. Follow the signs to the park's various facilities and locations.

From the east or south, take US Highway 53/State Highway 35 north from La Crosse. North of Holmen, turn left on Highway 35 where it splits from Highway 53. Take Highway 35 about eight miles to Trempealeau.

Route

Get to the Cedar Glade Trail and head east to the saddle between Heald's and Chicken Breast Bluff.  Then bushwhack your way south the summit of Chicken Breast Bluff via an unofficial or game trail.  During the summer the undergrowth makes the bushwhack more difficult.

Red Tape

There is a $7.00 fee to enter the park or an annual pass must be purchased.  During the winter the Cedar Glade Trail is groomed for cross country skiing.  No snowshoeing or hiking is allowed when snow is present so hike parallel to the trail during the winter unless it is very cold day when the snow is rock solid.

When to Climb

Chicken Breast Bluff is accessible throughout the year but is most easily accessed during the winter when less undergrowth is present.  Expect heinous bushwhacking during late spring, summer, and early fall.  There are plenty of thorns off trail.

Camping

Perrot State Park has camping for a fee.

External Links