Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.54018°N / 11.17614°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6670 ft / 2033 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

BischofBischof (center) as seen from Pürschling (02/2009)


An interesting name for a mountain: Bischof / Bishop. I don´t know where it derives from. I am not aware that this mountain has a shape like a bishops hat for example. It has a long southwest ridge and a steep northeast rockface. From the valley Bischof summit is barely visible because it is hidden behind Henneneck which looks prominent when viewed from Loisach valley.

Bischof is the 4th highest summit of Bavarian Prealps and of Estergebirge. It is one of the rare 2000 m summits of the Bavarian ranges and located northeast of Hoher Fricken. At Bischof summit the mainly southwest - northeast orientated Estergebirge main ridge bends to the north to Henneneck where it bends again back to the southwest - northeast orientation. That is why Bischof is sort of set back from the valley and therefore at Oberau or Frachant “out of sight”.

Located between Hoher Fricken and Henneneck / Kareck, Bischof is placed directly opposite of Krottenkopf. It is an excellent viewpoint for Karwendel and Wetterstein range, too. Many Ammergau summits can be viewed when looking to the west. Beautiful summit meadows invite for a long nap in the warm sun. A traverse of the summit includes the unmarked southeast ridge trail and the off trail northwest route down to the unnamed col between Henneneck and Bischof, where you gain the trail to Weilheimer Hütte and the off trail routes to Henneneck, Kareck and Oberer Rißkopf. To the south, steep meadows are dropping down to Finzbach valley, leading to Esterbergalm. The eastern and northern part of the mountain is a rugged rock face with intensely folded limestones.


BischofWetterstein range as seen from Bischof ascent (04/2011)



Unfortunately Bischof is now signposted at the unnamed col between Hoher Fricken and the summit. Consequence: more people are finding their way up to this nice mountain. In former times this was an absolute lonely summit for insiders. Nowadays you will find some more parties on the top. But still Bischof is not crowded. In combination with Hoher Fricken or with a ridge traverse Krottenkopf - Oberer Rißkopf - Kareck - Henneneck, Bischof still is a beautiful hiking summit within Estergebirge.


Summit panorama of Bischof






Getting There

BischofBischof as seen from upper Kuhflucht trail (04/2011)


Main trailheads for Bischof are
Oberau,
Farchant and
Garmisch - Partenkirchen / Wank cableway valley station.

From Munich


use highway A 95 and road number B 2 to reach Oberau, Farchant or Garmisch Partenkirchen, Wank cableway station.

  • For the Wank cableway parking area follow the signposts to the cableway at the northern rim of Partenkirchen.

  • For the Oberau trailhead leave the road number B 2 at Oberau railway station, cross the railway and follow Lagerhausstraße, Flößerstraße to the right. Park your car before or after crossing the bridge over river Loisach.

  • For the Farchant trailheads leave the road number B 2 after Oberau (signposts to Farchant) before entering the long tunnel which bypasses Farchant. Leave the road at Farchant / Hotel Alter Wirt to the left (Bahnhofstraße) and cross the railways and the river Loisach. Take the second road after the bridge to the left (Kuhfluchtweg) and go on to the parking area (2011: no fee).
    Alternatively steer right after the bridge and follow Esterbergstraße until you reach some meadows. The beginning of a forest road crossing these meadows is the trailhead. Go on for about 300 m, there is a parking area on the right hand of the road.


  • From Innsbruck


    or Inntal valley leave the highway A 12 (toll road) at the exit Zirl and follow the road number 177 to Scharnitz and B 2 to Mittenwald and Krün. From there choose B 2 to Partenkirchen or Farchant.

  • For the Wank cableway parking area follow the signposts to the cableway at the northern end of Partenkirchen.

  • For the Farchant trailheads leave the road number B 2 at the northern end of Partenkirchen (signposts to Farchant) before entering the long tunnel. Leave the road at Farchant / Hotel Alter Wirt to the right (Bahnhofstraße) and cross the railways and the river Loisach. Take the second road after the bridge to the left (Kuhfluchtweg) and go on to the parking area (fee required).
    Alternatively steer right after the bridge and go on for about 400 m until you reach some meadows and a (good) Italian restaurant on your left. Park your car alongside the road (Esterbergstraße) were it is allowed.

  • For the Oberau trailhead see above, section “from Munich”.


  • Railway


    The railway München - Innsbruck gives access to the Loisach valley and the trailheads Oberau, Farchant and Garmisch - Partenkirchen. There are railway stations at these villages.
    See the railway schedule here .
    It is best to use the Farchant trailheads with the railway because Farchant station is very close to the trailheads.


    Route Overview

    BischofBischof as seen from upper Esterbergalm trail (04/2011)


    There are several hiking routes which can easily be combined to nice traverses of the mountain. Good hikers may summit neighbouring Hoher Fricken summit or go on to Weilheimer Hütte and Krottenkopf.


  • Oberau trail:
    This is the shortest ascent to Bischof.

    Trail number “Ost” leads you from the parking area in southeast direction across the Loisachtal valley to Brandgraben, where a steep zigzag trail starts ascending to Schafalm and Frickenkar. In Frickenkar the trail bends in northern direction and reaches a trail junction. Straight on is the direction to Weilheimer Hütte, the easiest Bischof ascent is to the right. The trail reaches the unnamed col between Hoher Fricken and Bischof and the trail junction with the Esterberg trail. Follow the unmarked trail up the southwest slopes and the southwest ridge of Bischof, traversing first the dwarf pine zone and following second the ridge crest trail until you reach the summit.

    Alternatively follow the trail Oberau - Weilheimer Hütte up to the unnamed col between Bischof and Henneneck. Go right and follow the unmarked foot track up the steep west slope of Bischof - traversing the dwarf pine zone and struggling up the scree and the rocks of the upper west slope (this route is better for descent.)


  • BischofUpper part of Bischof ascent (04/2011)


  • Farchant trailheads:
  • Kuhflucht trail, starting at the end of Kuhfluchtweg (parking area; 2011: no fee), can be used for an Bischof ascent, too:
    Follow the forest road to the Kuhflucht creek and the trail running parallel to the creek until you reach the lower Kuhflucht cascades and a bridge. Cross the bridge and start to zigzag up a steep and narrow trail to the top of the cirque.
    Follow the trail at a trail junction above Kuhflucht cirque (no signposts) straight on and traverse the west slopes of Hoher Fricken until you reach the north slopes and the summit meadows of Hoher Fricken. Leave the trail there and aim - off-trail - to the unnamed and visible col between Hoher Fricken and Bischof. Climb the southwest ridge to Bischof summit.


  • Esterbergalm trails:
    Some steps north of the trailhead parking area a forest road starts on your right. Follow the road some 400 m to signposts leading you to Hoher Fricken and Esterbergalm. Follow the trail up to the forest road from Partenkirchen to Esterbergalm and follow this road (trail numbers TKW, W1, K6) to the left until you reach the col and the meadows of Esterbergalm.
    Short behind the col there is a trail starting at your left (signposts). Follow this trail up to the unnamed col between Hoher Fricken and Bischof and use the southwest ridge to Bischof.

    BischofBischof summit panorama (04/2011)


    Alternatively follow the road to Esterbergalm and to the point where the road turns into a trail leading to Weilheimer Hütte (trail number 464). Follow this trail up to where the trail starts zigzagging up the south slopes of Krottenkopf. Leave the trail there and start ascending on foot tracks, cow tracks and off-trail to the unnamed col between Bischof and Henneneck. Use the north slope route of Bischof to gain the summit.


  • Partenkirchen / Wank cableway trailheadSimply follow the forest road to Esterbergalm and go on as described above (Esterbergalm trails).




  • Red Tape & Accomodation

    BischofBischof as seen from Hoher Fricken(04/2011)


    In general there are, as far as I know, no general restrictions around Bischof.

    There are, however, two winter protection zones to be respected by ski tourists and snowshoe hikers: Bischof south slopes above Finzbach valley and above trail number 464 from Esterbergalm to Weilheimer Hütte.

    All types of accomodation can be found at

  • Oberau

  • Farchant

  • Garmisch-Partenkirchen

  • Krün



  • Mountain huts



  • As private mountain inn Esterbergalm, southeast of the summit, offers food.

  • Weilheimer Hütte (1955 m; 6414 feet)

  • Wankhaus (1780 m; 5840 feet)



  • Gear & Mountain Condition

    Bischof is a nice hike during spring, summer and autumn.

    The south and east orientated trails are normally free of snow from may to late autumn.

    Normal hiking gear and good boots are sufficient. Gaiters can be useful during a springtime hike.

    BischofBischof summit views Kareck, Rißkopf(04/2011)

    BischofBischof summit views Krottenkopf(04/2011)


    In winter and early spring Hoher Fricken can be tackled with snow shoes, too. Snow shoe hikers may use the Esterbergalm trail route to the unnamed col between Hoher Fricken and Bischof to reach the summit via the southwest ridge.

    As ski tour I don´t recommend this mountain. The west, north and east slopes are steep, full of dwarf pines and therefore not a good ski tour area. The south slopes have the above mentioned winter protection zones to be respected.


    Current Weather:



    Map & Guide Book

    BischofBischof and Hoher Fricken north ridge(04/2011)



    Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 25.000
    Blatt BY 9: Estergebirge, Herzogstand, Wank
    DAV, 2009

    Topographische Karte von Bayern, scale 1 : 50.000
    Karwendelgebirge, Werdenfelser Land

    There is no hiking or mountaineering guide book for Estergebirge or this summit.





    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Bavarian Pre-AlpsMountains & Rocks
     
    EstergebirgeMountains & Rocks