Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5571 ft / 1698 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Roßstein as seen from Buchstein summit
Roßstein as seen from Buchstein summit

Among the best known and most frequented summits in the Bavarian Prealps the twin peaks Roßstein and Buchstein, separated from each other by a broad col on which sits Tegernseer hut like an eagles nest, are for sure among the top 10.

Roßstein, the western twin, is a short east west running rocky ridge overgrown with dense dwarf pines and quite easily accessible via the east ridge. Some meters lower than Buchstein and about 5 minutes away from Tegernseer hut, Roßstein offers prime views in nearly all directions.  It is the hiker summit of the twin peaks and therefore often crowded.

Roßstein is a year round summit. As the main route is a south route Roßstein is a winter hiking summit when there is not much snow as frequently in the last years. Snow shoe and ski tour routes complete the offers for mountaineers.

Roß- and Buchstein are an interesting geological feature, too. They are built up of a special limestone, the so called Oberrhätkalk. This limestone is a late triassic coral reef. Consequently you can find fossilised corals besides other fossils, like old seashells, on your way to Roß- and Buchstein. This coral reef stretches east – west and builds up some striking summits, like Leonhardstein and Plankenstein to the east of Roß- and Buchstein, Ruchenköpfe in the Rotwand area and Brünnstein near Kiefersfelden / Inntal. East of Inntal, Wasserwand, one of the Heuberg summits, is built up of Oberrhätkalk, too. The more northern location of this reef outcrop in comparision to south located Brünnstein shows the forces of alpine orogeny and a shift of several 10 km along the huge thrust fault hidden below the northernmost Inntal valley.

The limestone which builds up Roß- and Buchstein is an anciant Triassic coral reef, the so called Oberrhätkalk. Withered by rain and snow you can sometimes find rocks with fossilized corals, like this beautiful Thecosmilia clathrata - bearing rock.
The limestone which builds up Roß- and Buchstein is an anciant Triassic coral reef, the so called Oberrhätkalk. Withered by rain and snow you can sometimes find rocks with fossilized corals, like this beautiful Thecosmilia clathrata - bearing rock.
Roß- and Buchstein (rock outcrop to the right) with tiny Roßstein needle as seen from an evening winter descent from Risserkogel
Roß- and Buchstein (rock outcrop to the right) with tiny Roßstein needle as seen from an evening winter descent from Risserkogel

Getting There

  • Main trailheads are the parking areas “Schwarzentenn” for the north routes and “Roß- und Buchstein” for the south route along road number B307 south of Tegernsee and Kreuth.
  • Bike and hike can be started at parking area “Söllbach” above Bad Wiessee, using the forest roads of Söllbach valley to Schwarzentenn Alm, where start the north route to Roß- and Buchstein.
  • Another long route is the west route starting at the hiker parking area “Am kalten Wasser” alongside road number B13 south of Lenggries and Fleck.

 

The first three trailheads for the north and south routes can be reached by car:

Leave highway A8, Munich-Salzburg, at the exit Holzkirchen. Proceed on road number B318 to Bad Wiessee.

For trailhead “Söllbach” turn on Söllbachstraße at Bad Wiessee and follow this road to the hiker parking area.

For trailhead “Schwarzentenn” follow road number B318 to Weissach. Turn right on road number B307 and follow this road passing through the village of Kreuth until you reach the marked parking area to your right.

For the parking area “Roß- und Buchstein” follow B307 for about 3 more km.

Public transportation

The “Schwarzentenn” and “Roß- und Buchstein” - trailheads can be reached by railroad to Tegernsee (BOB – Bayerische Oberlandbahn) and then by bus number 9550, stop “Kreuth-Klamm” for the north route and “Kreuth – Tegernseer Hütte” for the south route.

Roß- and Buchstein as seen from Sonnberg
Roß- and Buchstein as seen from Sonnberg
Summit view to the southwest; the south slope trail can be seen below
Summit view to the southwest; the south slope trail can be seen below

The trailhead for the western route can be reached by car:

Leave highway A8, Munich-Salzburg, at the exit Holzkirchen. Leave road number B318 to the village of Holzkirchen and go on road number B13 to Bad Tölz, Lenggries and Fleck. About 3,3 km south of Fleck you reach the hiker parking area “Am kalten Wasser”.

The next railway station is Lenggries. Unfortunately there is no public transportation from Lenggries railway station to the trailhead, many km south of Lenggries.

Routes Overview

South route

Starting at trailhead “Roß- und Buchstein” follow the trail number 609 to Sonnbergalm Niederleger, Sonnbergalm Hochleger and Sonnberg col. Take the short and easy via ferrata to Tegernseer Hütte or bypass the via ferrata on the Roßstein southwest side and take trail 633 (“Altweibersteig”) to gain Tegernseer Hütte from the north.

North routes

From trailhead “Schwarzentenn”:

Follow the forest road, marked route number 604 to the beginning of the clearing of Schwarzentenn Alm. Turn left on trail number 609 and proceed to Buchsteinhütte and steeply up the north slopes to Tegernseer Hütte.

From trailhead “Söllbach”:

Ride your bike on the forest road marked number 604 to Schwarzentenn Alm. Leave it where trail number 609 goes up to Buchsteinhütte and Tegernseer Hütte.

West route

Follow the forest road up to Röhrmoosalm (biking possible) and ascend on trail number 633 to Roßsteinalm. Follow trail number 633 via the north slope to Tegernseer hut or go to Sonnberg col and use the easy via ferrata to Tegernseer hut.

Roßstein (left) and Buchstein with beautiful Sonnberg Alm huts
Roßstein (left) and Buchstein with beautiful Sonnberg Alm huts
The south slope trail to Tegernseer Hütte and Roß- and Buchstein
The south slope trail to Tegernseer Hütte and Roß- and Buchstein

Tegernseer Hütte – Roßstein 

Follow the east ridge trail shortly up to Roßstein.

 

Traverse route

From Tegernseer hut to Roßsteinalm – Hochplatte – Schönberg – Seekarkreuz and  Lenggrieser hut.

 

Red Tape & Accommodation

The north slope of Roßstein and Buchstein is a winter wildlife restriction area.

No trespassing during snow cover times.

There are no more restrictions in this area.

The hiker parking areas require a parking fee.

The Roßstein needle, a rock feature south of Roßstein, offers short but very difficult trad climbing routes
The Roßstein needle, a rock feature south of Roßstein, offers short but very difficult trad climbing routes
South ascent to Roßstein with Leonardistein and Wallberg in the background. Leonardistein is, like Roß- and Buchstein an Oberrhät coral reef limestone peak.
South ascent to Roßstein with Leonardistein and Wallberg in the background. Leonardistein is, like Roß- and Buchstein an Oberrhät coral reef limestone peak.

Valley accommodation:

Kreuth

Bayerwald / Glashütte

 

Mountain accommodation:

Tegernseer Hütte: alpine club hut, open in summer, 23 overnight places

Buchsteinhütte: private hut north of Roß- and Buchstein 34 overnight places

Schwarzentenn Alm: only food and drinks

Summit view to the north: Kampen ridge
Summit view to the north: Kampen ridge
Trail below Tegernseer Hütte and Roßstein
Trail below Tegernseer Hütte and Roßstein

Gear & Mountain Condition

Hiking ascents require no special gear.

The easy via ferrata needs no ferrata kit.

Winter ascents on ski and snow shoes require avalanche gear.

See the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.

Weather on Roß- and Buchstein:

Map

Deutscher Alpenverein and Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Bayern:

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, Mangfallgebirge West, Tegernsee, Hirschberg;

map number BY13, scale 1 : 25000, with trails, ski routes, UTM grid



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bavarian Pre-AlpsMountains & Rocks